Saturday, December 7, 2002

The Bold and the Beautiful

So - I woke up this morning with the conscious thought that I was not going to go and try any dresses on this weekend. :) Yeah, I was going to wimp out AGAIN.
I got dressed, went to the post office to mail off the signed contract to the Flamingo (YAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!)
and then to Value City so I could get some bathroom rugs for my transmation into a domestic goddess. There happens to be a David's Bridal right next to the Value City, and I was going to go in just to get a closer look at the flutter sleeve dress they had in the window - mainly because of the mint green color. I wanted to see if it was a gown or if it was a bridesmaid dress.

20 minutes later I somehow ended up decked out in a gown, tiara and necklace. The dress was actually one of the ones I picked out from their website that I wanted to try on - and it fit perfectly. If I planned on staying the same size between now and the wedding, the only alterations I would have had to get done to it were to bustle it - even the LENGTH was right!!

I had picked up four to try on at first glance - a poufy ballgown skirted one:



A flutter sleeve one (the same one that drew me into the store - and I never found out if the green one was a gown or a bridesmaid's dress):



a strapless one with flower accents (the very FIRST Davids dress I fell in love with):


and a strapless wrap waisted one:



Okay - the ballgown one just plain didn't look right on me. I think the skirt was WAYYYYY to full for my hips. I looked plain old odd in it. I most likely spent about 5 minutes in it.

The flutter sleeve one I liked - I felt like Guinevere in it - VERY medival. :) So, it was pretty - but not really the vibe I wanted.

The flowered one was sooo pretty - feminie, flowery, but - eh.

The wrap waisted one though - it was PERFECT. In every way shape and form, this IS the Dress. It fit PERFECTLY for one thing (if I planned on staying the same size, the only alteration I would have to get would be to have it bustled - even the LENGTH was perfect) and when I put it on - I glowed. :) I kept saying that I felt like a Pretty Pretty Princess in it - but that's not quite accurate - I felt like ROYALTY. THe image that I have of it is in white, but the dress I tried on was ivory - and after I put it on, I had no doubts about getting a 'bridal' gown rather than a less formal gown. The only downside? The price! When I picked out the gowns, before I even tried them on - something TOLD me I would fall in love with the most expensive one. True to form, I did. It's ONLY 550.00 - but to me that's still and outrageous price to pay for a dress I'm only going to wear ONCE. So... as soon as I got home I went hunting to see if I could find a dress LIKE it - for less. That style seems to be popular as ALL get out :) (I think a certain M.S. has something to do with that - and I ain't talking bout Marta Stewart either) and so I found one on bridesave for 200 dollars LESS. :)

So let's do the side by side comparison



The Davids picture doesn't show A LOT of detail - but the main differences that I see between the two are that the davids one has a opening in the front, and the opening is beaded (which would account for the price jump) and I think the wrap bit on the davids dress was a little bit lower than the one on the Ginnis dress.

So - choices, choices. I'm wondering if I can talk my mother into buying my dress as my wedding gift - if she is willing - I can almost guarantee that I'm going to go with the David's dress. I also LOVED a tiara they had there that went PERFECTLY with the dress (and happened to be 150.00 - a perfect example of me and my selection of the most expensive thing I can!) I can't find a picture of it on the website, but it was made from natural colored and pale pink seed pearls, with little crystals and beads on it. The beads are the EXACT same color and style as the ones on my dress. (Notice how I'm calling it MY dress now??)


So - that's my adventure in Bridalhood for the day. :) I'm thrilled and excited all at once. And ya know what? Honestly - even if my mother DOESN't get the dress - I STILL will buy it for myself. *grins* Esp. since if I lose enough weight to get out of the womens sizes, the price DROPS by a hundred bucks. I'm not gonna comment on that at all... I've slowly come to just plain ACCEPT it.

I've found my dress. I've found it found it found it!!!!!

*bouncy* jasmyn

No comments: