Tuesday, May 6, 2003

Creative Expressions

1)Dancing on the front porch – it was a dream of me being a ballerina that was crushed by my body. Enemy = myself

2)Images – tried to draw – the eyes, I was always drawing eyes. It was secretive and hidden because I wasn’t supposed to draw images. Enemy = Amin

3)The Writing – those letters to myself that I showed my mother who corrected the spelling. I poured out my heart and was told to rewrite the story to something that I know was false. Enemy = my mother.

4)Art as a hobby – something more worthwhile has to pay the bills. Enemy = Ummi

5)Photography – I had an eye – I was observant – I was good. What happened? What changed? The last set of real pictures I took was in Atlanta. I felt so very adrift like the photography should have a purpose and all I was doing was taking snapshots.

I may be my biggest enemy. I expect perfection from myself from the start - as if I'm too good to practice. Perhaps because everything else in my life has come so easy - I never had to study, I didn't do anything active enough to have to practice it, there was no need for concentrated repetition in my life. I picked it up fast, and I can't pick up everything that fast. It doesn't mean that I CAN'T do it - it just means that I need to practice doing it. And even the best still took an occasional snapshot.

I need to re-read the tasks, and then I will come back to this.

No comments: