Wednesday, September 11, 2002

No Wedding Stuff Today....

I was on an airplane today, one year ago. By now, we all knew what had happened...and I was sad, scared, and concerned about all those I knew in NYC. Thankfully, all those I love and cherish made it through that horrific day fine. Sorrowfully, many others did not.

One year later, I’m not sad. I’m not scared. I am concerned – but most of all, I’m angry.

I'm angry that the people who are 'supposed' to be leading us NEED more than the deaths of 3,000 human innocents on American soil (as they clearly don't care about the deaths of non-American innocents on non-American soil) to understand that the world is changing and they CAN'T continue on they way they have.

I'm angry that as a nation we haven't changed one WHIT in what matters - we are still intolerant, selfish, self-centered, fixated on material wealth, and have the biggest superiority complex in the world.

I'm angry that anyone would SUPPORT going to another country and killing innocent men, women, and children for some sort of spurious 'revenge' - without any proof of guilt.

I’m angry that the United States has SUPPORTED other regimes who have mercilessly killed their own, and is killing hundreds of thousands of innocent men, women, and children in by denying them access to medicine.

I’m angry that the media is no longer the ‘protector of the public interest’ and instead has turned into a puppet of whoever has the most power and the most money.

I’m angry that so few others ARE angry. I’m angry at the fact that America hasn’t changed – and to all apperances isn’t changing.

I’m angry at the men who flew those planes – the ‘statement’ that they wanted to make could have been made in so very many other ways.

I’m angry that in a country that was founded on Liberty and Justice – revenge is still considered an appropiate course of action.

I’m angry. And I’m not quite sure what to do with it. I’m frustrated, and I don’t know where (or how) to relieve it.

I know one thing – I will give a moment of silence for those who lost loved ones, friends and coworkers. It won’t make me feel any less angry, but at least it will give my heart some ease.

God, please bless America, because we really need it.

jasmyn

No comments: