Saturday, January 27, 2007

So - there's been a thread on one of the other boards talking about the difference between regular conditioners, and DEEP conditioners. According to them, you can't use a reg. condish as a deep one - there is a difference in how it 'penetrates' the hair.
I was skeptical - I must admit - because I was thinking that it was jsut another way for the hair companies to get women to spend MORE money on 'extra' products. But - at the same time, I wondered.

I haven't used a 'real' DC in ages - largely because all of the ones I'd used before I started the HairThang, had cones, mineral oil, or petroleum in them - and I've decided to stop using all of those ingredients - but after reading that thread - I figured - hey! Why not? I haven't tried any new products in a while.

So, last night I swung by Sally's on my way home from work, and I spent about an HOUR in there. I read EVERY SINGLE label for EVERY item in that store that said 'deep conditioner' on the front, and on the back said that it should be used for 5-15 minutes.
Each. And. EVERY. One had either cones, petroleum OR mineral oil in it - ALL of them - except for one. It's called Silk Elements Revive & Restore Reconditioning Masque. It has a lot of yummy sounding herbal extracts and oils in it, and it's VERY rich and creamy.
I mixed some baking soda in water, some of the SERRRM and some honey, and then climbed in the shower to get my hair wet.

Now - I need to remember what I did this week - I used GJ and water on Monday, LR on Tuesday, GJ & HWater on Wednesday, LR on Thursday, took my hair out and played in it (scalp massage, finger combing) Friday.
The reason I wrote all that down is because when I got in the shower, and the water hit my hair - it turned into someone elses hair! It was thick and smooth and curly and soft and had almost NO tangles. I wonder if it was the HWater - that's about the only thing I did differently. I brought three misting bottles from Sally's as well - one I'm going to put rose water in, one I'm going to put HWater in, and I don't know what I'll do with the extra one - maybe honey-water?
Anyhow - I got my hair nice and soaking wet with HOT water (oh, the decandance! It's the only time I let hot water touch my hair - I WANT to lift up my cuticles now so that the conditioner can really soak in) and just rubbed and stroked and palyed with it - pretty pretty hair.

I got out the shower, put the SERRRM+ mix in my hair (very rich and creamy and felt like it was soaking in) then a shower cap, then my doorag, and on top of that - I put a wool hat.

I've realized that my hair LIKES humidity and heat. So - I've been putting a wool hat on top of my wet treatments lately, to encourage and hold onto my natural scalp heat. Besides, it feels lovely.

So, I'm sitting here now with that in my head. I plan on rinsing it out before I go to bed tonight, and putting my hair into several twists with some Whipped Pudding, so that it can dry straight - I can't do the fuzzy hair bit. Then, I'll put in some flat twists tomorrow....Hmmm, and I think I'll do some LR tomorrow too - that would still work, as Monday is a moisture day.

Hrm. I think I'm going to trim my hair again sometime in March. I'm thinking about MAYBE putting in yarn twists then too - I will most likely only have an inch or two of red hair left.... but maybe I'll wait til May, when I actually cut it all off. Hrm hrm hrmmmm... I don't know. I'll have ta think about it.

Oh! Okay - that is what I was going to do - I want to be sure to hold onto this information.....

No comments: