Thursday, January 25, 2007

See?? When I'm not constantly toying with my hair, I'm quuuuiet. I've been hanging out on a crunchy mama board, and that's been loads of fun.

My SHT FINALLLY got her box - I was so hoping that it would show up EVENTUALLY - there was no WAY I was going to be able to refind the stuff I had gotten for her, and I felt horrid that she might think I hadn't ever sent the box - but yay! She got it - and I think she likes everything!

Hair!

Still doing LR twice a week - no change there. I changed up my moisturizing spray last night, as my hair was feeling unusually dry - instead of spraying with plan water, then GJ, I mixed the last of my sample sized bottle of Humectress with plain water, and sprayed my hair with that, THEN sprayed the GJ on top of it - shower cap, scarf - and then, since my head was cool, I put a wool hat on top - *delighted sigh* It was like a head sauna - I'm SERIOUSLY going to do that everytime from now on.... I need to get another hat that's just for my hair, as I think that I might start rocking a hat on top of my hair tonics all the time - it will keep my head warmer, and moister, and I KNOW my hair grows faster in the summer in the south - and I really do think it's all that lovely humidity - so, yeah. Hmmm. I wish I had thought of this earlier yesterday - the thrift store was having a 50% off sale... or.... oooh! I could knit myself a hat! How much would that rock? *sigh* I've got loads of yarn, and I've got needles - all I need is to find a nice pattern....

I was busier than a cat with three tails in a room fulla rocking chairs over the weekend, so I didn't get a chance to 'get into' my hair til Saturday - which meant that as soon as I rinsed the Coconut/Lime/Honey mix out of my head on Sunday, I had to do my hair. I opted to do my hair wet, instead of letting it dry into twists and then do it....and I don't think I'll be doing that again. It wasn't that is ws HARDER - it's just that my hair has been VERY fuzzy all week, and random 'bunches' of hair missed getting into the twists, because they were still all shrunk up against my head. True, it was much easier to comb and part, but - sheesh! The fuzz man, the fuzz!

I was telling a friend of mine how unreasonably guilty I feel sometimes over the fact that I tend to kick it more with non-black folx than I do with black folx - and the comment was spurred by the whole hair board thing. I - I have a really hard time going to NP anymore - largely because I'm SOOO over the 'hair as an expression of my blackness' bit. I really don't CARE if I don't get holla'd at because I have natural hair. I could give a fat fig leaf about 'calling out' folx who post on OTHER boards about how 'ugly' some stars natural hair is. I really don't CARE about your best freinds cousins half brothers baby mama calling you a nappyheaded ho. I KNOW that my wanting longer hair isn't an aspect of me buying into 'eurocentric' beauty standards, and personally, I'm sick and tired of trying to convince women that just cuz your hair doesn't SEEM to get any longer, the ish is still GROWING and YOU are breaking it off. I just don't care about all the socio/eco/intrapolitical bullshit black folx seem to have, encourage, and nourish around HAIR. I DON'T CARE. It's not my thing, it's not my issue, and I don't have the time, energy, or desire to sift through 20 threads on THAT sort of stuff to find the ONE or TWO threads that are actually about HAIR itself rather than other peoples PERCEPTIONS of hair.

I care about growing my hair - making it stronger, LONGER, prettier and healthier. I care about trying new products that assist in those goals. I care about learning new styles, new ways to do my hair, and admiring those who have reached goals I can only hope for. And sadly enough, I'm not getting that from my natural 'sistas', so I kick it with the permed/pressed/natural sistas and the white girls.

Whoa. I didn't know I had that rant in me. Hm.

SOooooo - this weekend! Our mattress is getting delivered, I REALLY need to spackle and prime the kitchen, and I'm going to do a clarifiying treatment. Okay. You know, I'm seriously thinking bout clarifying on Friday night, and henna'ing on Saturday - but I'mma be good, and just clarify this weekend. My hair really does get upset with me when I henna more frequently than needed, so there's no need to rush.

I ordered Hair Souffle from the same lady who makes the LR - and I jsut don't really like it. It smells - chemical, and it's REALLY thick, and it's definitely a creme - so it doesn't melt into my hair. I don't know if I've used it on dry hair (I can't remember) so maybe I will try that - and use less of it, just in case I don't like it cuz I'm over using it. If I still don't like it, it might be going up for a swap....

No comments: