Tuesday, January 25, 2000

For Money or Location or Love

It’s odd how life flies...how things can change in a matter of days...seconds even. I got a job offer from the company that I went to interview with in Indianapolis today. A great offer. A wonderful offer. A freaking ASTOUNDING offer in fact. They are offering (as a base salary) 47, 000 plus a guaranteed bonus that would up the total salary to 51,000. And that is to start....my first year out of school. To say I was FLABBERGASTED is putting it mildly. But to every golden cloud there tends to be a silver lining. There are problems... one major.. one not so major. The not so major one is that I reallly want to stay in Atlanta. I love the city, I love the people here ( most of the time) and I love the weather. Indy is cold, far away, and cold. The second major problem is of course Tashi. We worked out our differences, and laid down some grounds rules that should keep this relationship intact, for a while at least. But now there is this... the whole job thing. If I do so choose to move to Indy, I KNOW that I do not want her to move with me. I am not committed enough to the relationship to ask her to tear up the roots and contacts that she has made, both professionally and socially (which are few, but that is the subject of another entry), and follow me to another city, that I don’t plan on staying in any longer than 5 years anyway. Yet, at the same time, I don’t want to trash the relationship, but hell five years is a LONG time to wait for somebody... it is a long time for an LDR, considering I am not sure if I will be able to give her that much of my time anyway. And...considering that HER family is moving out of the city in a few months, she has nothing to tie her too Atlanta either. *sighs* So.... I have this GORGEOUS job offer (which is easily 10,000 above the starting average for new grads) in a cold city, far away from the woman I am currently committed to. Add to that the fact that I have a track record of doing GREAT with my first offers and not so good with my second/subsequent offers, AND this is the only serious job offer that I have gotten. So what to do what to do?? I kinda sorta have game plan together.
1) Keep looking for jobs... in the Atlanta area (that will give me the same amount of money)
2) Wait to see what she says in her diary about it (I know I know)
3) Talk to her about it...cuz honestly she is the only thing keeping me here....away from 51,000 dollars. And considering how very-Capricorn like & money hungry I am...that is saying alot.

*sighs* Papi is asking me all the hard questions that I am sure others will. Five years, to me isn’t that long of a time. Honestly, I know that I can’t buy a house is any less that five (or maybe 7) years cuz my credit is shot to HELL. Besides I have this thing about debt. I hate having it over my head, yet I love spending money. *sighs* So my main goal would be to in five years, pay off the 25,000 worth of debt that I have now, and save at least 15,000 for a house. Plus get those years of experience that will make me worth a hell of alot more in Atlanta. Maybe even a MBA. I don’t know.... I have plenty of time to sleep on it and think about it. But I KNOW me...and that much money is an INCREDIBLE lure....

Stay Jazzed

No comments: