Friday, October 22, 2004

planning

So.... I signed up for Nano. Like I say each year - I think I might be crazy enough to do it this time.


As usual, when I signed up, I had no clue what the hell I am going to write about - but I still had to come up with something to put in the 'title' box. I put in 'No Earthly Clue' - and over the next day or two realized that could actually be a pretty interesting title to a book.


I don't think I'm going to try to write fantasy this time - or at least not the out of 'this' world kind, even though with a title like that, it almost begs to be used prettily - bt, I think I'm really going to go straight beach reading.


So far I've got Jessamyn - the main character - she's got a quasi-live in boyfriend, a ferret, and she used to have a very nice job.


I'm thinking of it kinda as a novel of self-discovery (and yes, I'm going to be writing a hell of alot of me and the thoughts and crap I'm dealing with now (plus some wishful thinking) into it) with a little bit of adventure and sex thrown in for good measure.


I know where she's going to start, and I have a rough idea of a few things that shes' going to encounter - but I still don't have a really clear idea of where she's going to end up - which makes it a little more interesting.


I usually plot out almost the entire book BEFORE I set down to write - it takes shitload of time, but it's my way to organize. However, I've noticed that I'll do some sort of freaking plot change in the first third of the book that almost invalidates the road map I've created - which therefore leads me more towards wasting huge chunks of time than really getting organized.


So this time, I'm jsut going to do the high level stuff - character sketchs, climaxes, and maybe a pre-thought out plot twist or two. I already know she's not getting pregnant, raped or married......*grins* maybe briefly kidnapped though - that might be fun. She's definitely going to travel - and I think she might sketch. Hm.


*grins* So - I'm getting excited - it's going to be a real struggle not to Mary Sue her - I have to be sure to come up wih some real faults when I do her character sketch.


Hm. :)

No comments: