Thursday, February 9, 2006

More about Food....

So, I was thinking about this more last night - as I was eating a lovely, lovely, dinner.
Hunger - to me - is like the 'Low Fuel' warning light for your body's gas tank. Your body isn't going to let you run totally OUT of fuel before it says - hey! Dumbass! Eat something! That would be stupid on a purely survival level.
Anyhow....the whole breakfast thing...eh. I don't know. Once again - it's the battle between how everyone says you SHOULD eat, and the concept of not eating unless you're hungry.


I suppose I could start eating SOMETHING in the morning. The thought actually makes my tummy clench a little - and it just doesn't seem RIGHT. And if eating breakfast causes me to eat LESS food during the day - I'm really going to be SOL. And then of course - how soon do you have to eat after waking up for it to count as 'breakfast'. And ya know - there was a study done about which was more valuable - breakfast or extra sleep in the morning, and the sleep won. Sleep is a large reason why I don't eat breakfast - I'm not one of those people who wake up an hour and a half before they have to leave for work and putter about the house, watching the news and ironing clothes. No. I get up, and I am out of the house in 20 minutes - and I'm STILL usually running a little late. So - does eating something 2 hours after I wake up count as breakfast? 3 hours? 4?


*laughs*


Hmmm... of course, I have noticed that the earlier I wake up, the quicker I tend to get hungry in the morning - so if I WAS one of those people who got up much before they had to go to work, I would most likely actually be hungy enough to EAT breakfast.


*sigh* I still think I should trust my body over some scientist who doesn't know me. Eh, maybe I do need to go and talk to a nutritionist. *laughs* I betcha she'll tell me to eat when I'm hungry too.


Anyhow! Enough about when I eat, let's talk about WHAT I eat.


Breakfast/Early Snack: Protein of some sort - a boiled egg, piece of cheese, protien bar. Usually something very, very, very, small. Under 100 calories easy.
Lunch: Lately it's been a protien shake - funnily enough, I'd rather eat a quick lunch AT work so that I can leave earlier rather than leaving, taking my hour, and then having to stay longer. Damn that. The shakes haven't been too bad - and I figure that they are a HECK of a lot cheaper than actually going out to get lunch since a 4 pack is 5 bucks - which is less than I would spend for lunch on ONE day. And - they aren't FILLING, perse - I miss the whole 'chewing' bit - but I am satisfied and not hungry until dinner. And of course, they are convienent as a MUG. And naturally, they are disgustingly low-cal and low-carb.
Dinner: Oooohhh - my favorite meal. No real consistency here - usually meat & a salad of some type. I looooovvvveee salads (green/fresh/crunchy/salty/chewy/ cheesey/spicy), and somehow, I forget about this love when I'm not trying to be lowcarb. I could acutally do the salad thing for lunch but - ugh, so not convienent. And going out for salads are a real rip-off....though there IS this pizza place up the street that has a 4.99 lunch buffet and has a pretty damn nice salad selection. Hmm.... maybe that will be my Friday lunchtime treat spot.


And then, of course, once I start lifting weights again - I know that my early appetite will ramp up, and my late appetite will ramp down, so I might have to revisit this whole dang thing in about a week. Still... it's interesting.


I think I'll go and look up studies about weight loss differences between people who ate breakfast and people who didn't.

No comments: