Tuesday, February 1, 2005

Nerves

Okay....so - I've been doing some reading, and a lil bit of research and I feel a hell of a lot less - traitorous - now. Also, from the response that I've gotten to my resume, it seems like someone with my knowledge is well - a valuable commodity. And I 'knew' this because my company is a using a cutting edge software - but still, it's very cool to be validated. Anyhow......it's 7am, I've been up for 4 hours, and I want to make note of this so  that if I get all squicky again later, I can remind me exactly WHY I'm doing this.


Reason #1:
Changing jobs gives you a broader base of experience: After about three years, you’ve learned most of what you’re going to know about how to do your job. Therefore, over a ten year period, you gain more experience from “three times 90 percent” than “one times 100 percent.”
I've been at my current job for almost five years (if I wait til August, I'll be vested....hmmm) and really, there IS more than I can learn - but not about the job that I'm doing now. And the likelihood of me switching to another job - and be trained on that job is.....slim.


Reason #2:
A more varied background creates a greater demand for your skills: Depth of experience means you’re more valuable to a larger number of employers. You’re not only familiar with your current company’s product, service, procedures, quality programs, inventory system, and so forth; you bring with you the expertise you’ve gained from your prior employment with other companies.
As this is my FIRST job - I don't have any of that variety - but hey - this is an EXCELLENT reason to look into moving.


Reason #3:
A job change results in an accelerated promotion cycle: Each time you make a change, you bump up a notch on the promotion ladder. You jump, for example, from project engineer to senior project engineer; or national sales manager to vice president of sales and marketing.
Definitely one of the main reasons - esp. since I was told that one of the reasons that I wasn't given the posting that I wanted last year is because I wasn't at that 'level' - even though I've been WORKING at that level for the last year. *snort*


Reason #4:
More responsibility leads to greater earning power: A promotion is usually accompanied by a salary increase. And since you’re being promoted faster, your salary grows at a quicker pace, sort of like compounding the interest you’d earn on a certificate of deposit.
Definitely - I know that I can make more money than what I'm making now - and honestly (I can be honest with my diary right) I'm looking for something that I can make enough money to be able to kill my debts ASAP, save a healthy chunk of money, and then move into financing my real life.


Top Five Reasons Women Switch Jobs:
1) Family obligations - obligations to the family I want, yes.
2) New opportunities - definitely! The project I'm on is going through death throes - both in the cycle and in the budget, and chances to do what I'm good at are - slim......
3) Higher earning potential - Hello? Without a doubt.
4) Relocation - Definitely! I want/need to move the hell OUT of Indiana.
5) Job burn out. - Not so much - I actually enjoy what I've been doing - it's just the bleak future in front of me that I'm not looking forward to.


 




And you know what really sucks? I don't have anyone to talk to about this - like, when & do I tell my current boss that I'm looking for a new job? What are the 'traps' that I might fall into if I accept a job as a consultant? How much money should I really be asking for? How do I approach my references, when they work for the company I'm leaving?
None of my other friends are - corporate like I am. One friend is - but he's worked for the same company (started on the store floor - has moved to Asst. Director of HR) his whole corporate career - so I'm the first one to do the whole job switch thing. Gah! There's just so much that I don't know..........

 


 

No comments: