Friday, March 9, 2007

Oooh! I haven't posted for a while!

Well - I henna'd last weekend, and while it wasn't a TOTAL disaster it was - interesting. I used some henna I found in the local Halal shop - and - ew. It was full of twigs and sticks, and took FOREVER to release dye - though, it WAS very conditioning. So I guess I can't complain TOO much - but I'll be tossing the rest of it. I just placed an order with FNWL for more henna (2lbs this time!), some shealoe butter, some rosemary and tea tree oil, and I think that's it.

I took the new set of hairline comparison pics as well.....Here's the originals...



And here's a month later



Hmmm... not too bad. I think that the fronthairline is filling in NICELY - the sides are still *waggles hand* I've been thinking about using the MTG - but I don't know. That stuff IS stinky. I'm thinking that maybe some Vatki Oil would be better. *thinks* I don't THINK anything is rubbing my sides moreso than the front....but then, my scarf has to go behind my ears, and I don't know how much that pulls. If that's the problem, I might just have to accept that the side will always be a little thinner, as I can NOT have my ears pinned down. *shudder*

Hrm. I'll have to think about it.

Let's see, what else? I talked about the icky henna - oh! I have to find another deep treatment. I'm seriously thinking about going through ALL the hair stuff I have in the cabinent, and coming up with something - but at the same time, knowing what I know about different kinds of conditioners - I think it might be worthwhile just going and buying a real DC. I only use it once a month - so...... *sigh* It's just a PAIN in my rear finding one that has no petroluem products or cones. I liked the Silk Elements stuff I had before - but it smells so dang chemically, and - well, after the twig adventure last week, I'm really not trying to deal with anything that has little bits and pieces of random organic material in it.

I'm really happy with my hair in general, despite my worries that I'm balding and that I'm breaking it all off and that fungus is going to grow on my scalp from me trying to keep it moist - which, really, is all linked.

I swear - I think if I had a Jherri Curl, my hair would be down to my behind - my hair is TERMINALLY dry. It doesn't really matter what I put in it - I have to do it EVERYDAY in order to keep the moisture level high enough. I've started sleeping every night with my freshly misted hair under a showercap, so that I'm giving myself little 'saunas' all week long. The mister usually has water + some sort of conditioner that is okay as a leave in - I'm alternating the Humectress and the Honey Hemp. The oils I ordered from FNWL are going to go into the mister - rosemary for stimulation (just in case I AM going bald) and tea tree oil as a antifungal/antibacterial/general keeping stuff in check.

OHMI! Speaking of going bald! I had this dream this morning - a bunch of unhair related stuff was going on, then I passed a mirror, and literally did a triple take. My hair was SHORT (like Rosemary's Baby), STRAIGHT (relaxer for DAYS) and a hideous brassy blonde color. Even WORSE - I had HUGE shiny bald patches scattered all through my hair. Normally/awake, my hair is dense enough that I don't care HOW I part it, I can't put my finger on bare/hairfree scalp (I can almost do it right at the top of my head, but it's still not hairfree). In the dream, I had shiny patches as big as my thumb that I could rub - totally hairfree. I was oddly calm about it - sorta sad, but not NEARLY as freaked out as I was when I woke up. Very strange. I haven't had straight hair in a dream in - a very, very, LONG time.

But anyhow, as I was saying before that side trip into the wonders of my subconsious, I'm misting my hair everynight....on Tue/Thur, I'm doing Lenzi's first, then misting, and the rest of the week, I'm just misting. As the weather gets warmer (and more humid!) I think that my moisture issues will ease up some - but - it's REALLY an uphill battle, and I think that my hairs' dryness is a MAJOR cause of the breakage that I get. It's so saddening, all the little half curls of hair that I'm left with - and it doesn't matter HOW gentle I am with my hair (though I MUST get better with using HH on my dry hair before touching it with a comb), it get breakage. It's a combo of the fineness of my hair, as well as all my lovely little tiny curls.

Ah! Speaking of which - very bored with a camera after a detangling session left me with this avant art picture....



I did nothing to my hair to make it do this, by the way, this is just what came out onto my hands as I was taking out my flattwists.... *sigh*

And then, here is a lovely picture of a split hair - notice the secondary partial split close to the bottom? *sigh*



Anyhow!! Those are why I'm trying to figure out how to keep my hair constantly hydrated. If I wore a wig, I could wear a showercap underneath. But, it's rally not that crucial.

And - now that all of my red (or most of it - I still have a fine fringe of red, but it's pretty insginicant - it's a really pretty highlight on my flattwists though, so I'm not going to trim it off) is gone, I'm thinking about doing yarn twists again...and I'm wondering what the thin line is of being damp/being mildewy. *makes ew face*

I think I'm going to take next Friday off, so I might try then. Or, I could stop being a wuss and at least experiment this weekend. It might be easier than I think.

Maybe.

We'll see.

Okay.

I think I'm done!

No comments: