Friday, February 16, 2001

Father (?) of mine..

Well...isn't this just fascinating. Not sure how I feel about it. Hm.

Dear Jazzy, I want to thank you for your card and consideration. Life is such an incredible series of seemingly random events that I thank God for the opportunity to see what each new day brings. With that in mind, I read your card and smiled. I feel your uncertainty because I too have felt the deep bewilderment of our situation. My history with you is like a book with several chapters of blank pages but undeniably a book to be created, read, and experienced. Yes, I am your father and you are my child and I am very interested in learning about you as Jazzy the person .I want to start filling in those blank pages. I must confess that my distance and subsequent silence has been a mixture of fear, denial, and hope. Fear that I would hurt you or get hurt by my own longstanding ignorance of what I have missed in not knowing you. I have experienced what I would call a classic case of the denial- of my shortcomings, failures, and unrealized success- in dealing with how great a person you have become. My hope-the source of my smile while reading your card-was realized in the sense of knowing what your feeling and how I am so willing to reciprocate. I am so proud of you and the things I've heard from various sources over the years. I also want to thank you and your mother for the invitation to your graduation. I showed up on pure adrenaline with the purpose of seeing you walk across the stage. It didn't dawn on me that I needed a ticket to get in so I watched the proceedings from the overflow room on a monitor. I didn't stay for the entire ceremony because I wasn't prepared to see you, your family, and friends on one of the happiest days of your life and be a potential embarrassment to the entire affair. So I slipped back into the darkness of my silence and prayed for the next opportunity to come. So you're right the third time is a charm and I would love to see you. I am scheduled to come to Indianapolis March 14th-17th for a conference and would like to schedule time to meet with you. As far as the business card is concerned-nicely done! With your credentials they are lucky to have you. I look forward to hearing from you and I pray that we can create great future together.

Peace and Love,

That Guy

No comments: