Wednesday, August 17, 2005

I got interviewed - and I want MORE!!!

One of my new faves Myssk, ever so kindly responded to my pleading and interviewed me.....


1. You want to be a midwife, which totally rocks my socks. Was there any event that led you to this, have you always wanted to do it, etc? In short - what made you want to become a midwife?
Hmm, ya know, I don't think I ever actually wrote out why I want to be a midwife - and if I did, I might have been in one of my previous incarnations of this diary.
I've always been fascinated by childbirth/pregnancy - and I've always been pretty damn granola from how I grew up, where cloth diapering, breastfeeding til the child weaned themself, slingwearing, and cosleeping was all normal - just as having your baby at home with a midwife was. So, I've always known WHAT a midwife was. Now, what led me to wanting to become one? It was about two years after I had graduated from college, when I was looking around at my life as a computer person, and realized that I would have to be getting paid a HELL of a lot more to be even vaugely satisfied, and I still wouldn't LOVE my job. I had an amazing example of someone LOVING their work in C, and - honestly - I was jealous.  So, I started reading some self help books that were written to help you - narrow down what you are most passionate about, and help you figure out how to turn that into employment. As I was writing stuff down, it hit me. I mean seriously, it was like a brick to the head. For a woman who has never given birth, I know MORE about childbirth than many parents of multiple children - both the natural/interference free type, and the hospital brand - and I'm PASSIONATE about it. Get me started, and I tend to usually shut up because people brush me off because I haven't had kids, and therefore assume that I have no CLUE what I'm talking about - otherwise, and esp, when I am in a group of like minded people, I can go on and on and on.  I LOVE helping/teaching people, and I love finding new solutions for problems that make everyone happy. So - that's what started me on the path of becoming a midwife. I've never - wavered on becoming one, I just bounce back and forth with the timing....it's NOT a job that brings in huge amounts of money (esp. if you choose to NOT work in a hospital - which is something I'm going to struggle with as a doula - I really DON'T like hospitals) but - it's something that would be SO very rewarding.


 2. Do you believe in god, gods, higher power, etc. or are you agnostic/atheist?
Wow - you are asking some really timely questions. I believe in *thinks* how to put this? I don't believe in a big entity in the sky keeping an eye on all of it's creation.  I don't believe in MULTIPLE eyes in the sky, either. If anything, I would consider myself a witch, I suppose - and I'm learning that I don't think I mean Wiccan, either. I believe that there is an energy/power/force all around us that we can manipulate through focus, and through energy manipulation. Gah. I still haven't totally figured out what I believe in, but I know that Allah, Yaweh, and God ain't really my friends, and they haven't been doing shite for humanity since they 'kicked' us out of the garden, so ya know - if Karma is a true force, they have a lot coming back to them. *LOL* talk about the ultimate DeadBeat Dad. 
I said the question was timely because I'm JUST starting to get involved with a pagan group here, and - hell, I need to figure out a 30 sec answer to this question that doesn't sound totally haywire, and FEELS right to me. I've gone through a couple of religions/faiths - Muslim, Baptist (for a real hot second), agnostic (which is still maybe the closest, but it doesn't - FEEL - right), and out and out pagan. When folx ask me what I am, I usually say Heathen, and they leave me right alone. Hah. As I was telling one of my friends (I LOVE Dogma, by the way) I prefer to have 'ideas' rather than beliefs, esp. consider I don't know.


3. Here's a fun one: Pussy hair - wild, trim, or shave? Why?
Shaved usually, as otherwise I truly turn into the wild country. Interestingly enough, I've noticed I tend to be wilder in the winter, and get trim crazy in the summer. I've been thinking about investing in a pair of clippers to keep the jungle in check. Why? *grins* I like the way it feels and looks - sooo smooth. Sooo sexy...and no naughty hairs to get in the way of any fun. Shhh - but I make C trim to. :)


4. Do you ever wish you could fly? If so, what inspires the feelings? Airplanes, birds? If not, what superpower do you wish you could have?
Wondertwin powers, Activate!!! *grins* Okay, but seriously. Hmm... flying has never been a big thing for me - if I had to pick on superpower, it wouldn't be flying....though it WOULD be cool as all get out. Let's see - one superpower? It would have to be *thinks* Alteration. Being able to turn myself into anything/anybody. Heh. That would be fun. If it had to be a more mental power, it would definitely be empathy - to truly be able to read others feelings/reactions/emotions. Not telepathy, because I know there is stuff in MY head that I would like to kick out, and that seems like an utter violation of privacy to be rummaging about in peoples thoughts.


5. What is one of the most influential books you've read? If you don't feel there's been one choose a "most" option from this list: creepiest, worst, best, boring, or erotic.
Hey! No Fair! I've already answered this one in a theme entry earlier this month? week? Recently. *ruammges around* Here it is..... and it opens in a new window too.....



Thanks a million Myssk!!! You've given me a chance to waste ALMOST an hour and a half at this dreadfully dull place of work - or maybe I'm just too fast for them....


Now, though, I'm in the questions mood. ask me anything, signed, unsigned, private whatever..... I don't think you guys could come up with something that I won't answer....


No comments: