Monday, August 22, 2005

Return Of The Space Cowgirl

I'm not a morning person, not at all - but this weekend has taught me that I CAN be a morning person when I'm doing something that seriously interests me - so it's not that I'm not a morning person, it's just that my job isn't a good enough REASON for me to be a morning person. Yeah.


Okay - the training. *grins* *laughs* It was - wonderful. Amazing. I've learned so MUCH stuff - new cool things that I would have never learned before. I don't think I've EVER been quite so comfortable in a group of all women that I've just met before. I'm - all kinds of geared up - and there is a long weekend coming up!! (How the bright hell I forgot about Labor Day, I'm not sure - I think I just didn't realize it was coming up quite so fast!) So - the training? 3 days, from 8:30 to 4:30 with an hour for lunch. A healthy bit of questions and answer lecturing, a nice couple of doses of humblepie for me (I really DON'T know that much when compared to other who are interested in this as well - and MAN my childless state means that I miss out on some of the 'normal' stuff). The first day was mostly lecturing/question and answer - the second day we learned pain relief techniques, and the third day we did scenarios and covered post-partum care.
There were 9 of us - ages from 23 to mid 50's. Three of us were childless, 4 of us had kids, and 2 of us were grandmoms. Two black women, seven white women. 8 from Tn, 1 from Ky.  It was - really, really, really, good.  Do I actually FEEL ready to be a doula? Umm... yeah?? Am I still nervous as hell?? Oh, DEFINITELY. Do I think I can pull it off - HELL YEAH!!! *grins* And I've decided that I'm DEFINITELY crazy, as I am looking FORWARD to experiencing labor. I KNOW it's going to hurt more than anything I've ever experienced - and that is also part of what I'm looking forward to. In my mind - labor is a challenge - a call for you to be able to take yourself to your limits, and far far far beyond, and end up with the most amazing thing that you could ever create. *rubs arms* I'm giving myself goosebumps over here.


I also met one of my online friends, and her husband and one of his friends. We met at a coffee shop, and sat and talked for - NINE hours. From 7:00pm until 3am, and the conversation FLOWED. We touched on all of the 'taboo' topics, and I swear, I can't remember the last time I had THAT much fun with a group of new sober people in - ever. I really didn't WANT to go back to the hotel, but since the training started at 8:00am the next morning, I still had a writeup to do, and I had to get up extra early to check out, I figured I should DEFINITELY go on home. I didn't get to bed until about 4:30am, but oddly enough, I really WASN'T tired. Once again, my night owl tendencies coming out....I ran until 9pm last night on three hours of sleep - and even once I got home, when my head hit the pillow, all kinds of business ideas and bright thoughts and other stuff started bubbling up. I had to get up, get a pen and some paper so that I could write most of this stuff down before I could even settle in enough to go to sleep.


And!!! When I got home, my beloved, sexy, wonderful tasteful husband had rearragned out furniture - so now we have a GORGEOUS house. Oh. My. God. It's - hot. I mean - this furniture FITS so damn well, its scary. I think that the only thing missing is a comfortable and stylish computer desk that doesn't LOOK like a computer desk. Something tells me finding that is going to be an adventure - I wonder if I could get someone to build what I want??
*grins* Of course, he had an ulterior motive for getting everything set up, as he was having a card game with the 'boys' last night, but it was still a wonderful thing to come home to.....


And of course today, my ass is DRAGGING. It's not the lack of sleep, it's the job. *deep breaths* I'm walking a path - it's not a path that can be run, or driven, it HAS to be walked. And I have no doubt that as I walk this path, I WILL reach my destination. I'm just - eager for the journey to reach that first waystation, thas all.


*plods off*

No comments: