Friday, May 12, 2006

Winding Down....

I love being alive - I feel like if I really keep my eyes peeled and my mouth shut, I can learn something new everyday.


The house - almost feels like home. We're working on getting it to smell right (I burn like 5 or 6 sticks of incense a DAY - but it's OUR house smell, so the more the merrier) and after a major unpacking/cleaning out/reorganizing of the kitchen, family room, and game room, I can actually go home, and relax without feeling the twitchiness of MUST.DO.SOMETHING!!!!


The deck (the one we plan on tearing down) is - oh wow, it's really so nice that I'm waffling about it. Because it's SO high up, it's really super peaceful sitting out there, and because it's on the south side of the house, it gets full sun all day - but of course, that's why I want to turn it into a veggie/herb garden. I don't know....I sat up there for a while yesterday (freezing my tushkies off in the process) sipping on some wine (must get liqour for the weekend!) and reading one of the garden books I picked up from the library.


Being the ever so anal, Excel-loving, listmaking Capricorn that I am, I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to organize, track, and prioritize everything that I/we want to do to the house. I'm thinking an Excel Spreadsheet - or maybe I'll do it the old fashioned way and use a notebook, assigning the front and back of a page to each task. Hmm.....but then, how would I prioritize? Maybe a three ring binder would be better - with the little folder/holder inserts in them to tuck printouts and scribbled notes and the like. Have one section of Easy/Cheap stuff, another section of Weekender Projects, and another section of Major Rippage. I've already got a 30odd item listing of stuff that needs to be done as it crosses my mind. I also swung by the library last night (I LOVE exploring new neighborhoods! - there's a huge super Kmart right across the street from the library. I considered picking up some tomato plants from there, but I reigned myself in) and picked up a couple of home repair books, and a couple of Southern Gardening books. Both of the gardening books I simply MUST buy, and two of the home repair books were REALLY good - including Home Depot's. Our agent gave us a 50 dollar Home Depot gift card, so part of that will DEFINITELY be going towards the book.


I love the public library - I think that having a library card is one of the most important stes towards becoming TRULY educated. I *hangs head* am SO bad at getting things BACK on time (though, with a library 5 minutes away now, I should get better!) but I consider every fine a donation to the library - because - *shakes head* seriously, I consider it invaluable! I was able to 'preview' several books, and decide if I actually wanted to buy them, or if they were too general - or whatever - for FREE!!


Ohhh... must start a house related booklist too.


I think that I'll unpack the library this weekend. C's car window fell off of it's track, and so he's going to be using my car over the weekend while his is in the shop - so I have to plan out what I need to get. Hmm.... might should go grocery shopping tomorrow morning, which means I'll need to make a list out tonight. And I'm going out tonight to get the replacement parts for the washer faucets, , and a toolkit, as our's vanished during the move. It's most likely tucked inside or behind something, but I need that now. Crap, I actually need to get that before I go home *frowns*, and some heavy duty gloves so that if I decide to start pulling junk out from around the edges of the yard, I won't tear my hands all apart It's supposed to be REALLY nice tomorrow, so I most likely need to make use of that time.


I think the full moon ritual is this weekend - bugger! C has the car, so I won't be able to go - *pouts* Ah well, there's always next month. And since I have a house and a yard and the like, Hell, I can do my own. Just have to wait til the sun goes ALL the way down to avoid mosquitos - the bloodthirsty little bastards.


Being in this house has really shown me how much stuff I DON'T know. I've always prided myself on being a repository of general information - little shit on lots of topics. But being here jsut opened a window to a HUGE list of stuff that I know jack SHIT about - like plant identification. I know what a wild strawberry looks like, and a pine tree (but don't get me to lying about what KIND of pine, or even if all the trees ARE the same kind of pine) and trees? Phhft. I recognize the maple (largely because of Canada's flag) and I know which one is a fig tree and which one is a apple tree (cuz Mr. W told me) but other than that? *shrugs* No clue. I'm sure we've got all osrts of beneficial/need to stay wildflowers and herbs growing - but dude, I wouldn't know up from down in that yard. And then there is all the internal stuff. How to you stop a leak? What tools do you need to fix a rattly fan vent? What's the best biodegradable cleaning products? What's a cheap place to get paving stones/bitsy rocks? *blinks* 


It's amazing and exciting (cuz I LOVE learning) and hugely freaking overwhelming all at once. So sometimes, I jsut need to take time out, and sit, and admire the wonderful little section of Earth that is ours, and CHILL. Heh.


And Dude! I've got a lot of hair! *LOL* I untwisted the twisties (cuz they were starting to get fuzzy after a week of sleeping/wetting/scarfing them, and I've got just like - hair EVERYWHERE. I didn't expect it to be so, so - expansive. It's like - POOOF. It's still soooo dry though - Ah! I need to go to the Beauty Supply spot and - ah! Sears should have a good toolkit if I can't get one at the local hardware store - but I need to go to the Beauty Supply store and get some moisturizer for my hair. And maybe a deep conditioner too....cuz my hair is PARCHED from the chemical fandango I put it through. Thankfully, because the locs actually DID protect the ends of my hair, this head of hair is most likely the healthiest I've ever had - I don't have a SINGLE split end - and I want to keep it that way. *scratches head* It's so cool to have hair again. Remind me of this when I start bitching about it in about a month or two.


It's interesting, the new things I'm noticing as gas prices are going up. Have ya'll noticed how many car commericals now specifically FOCUS on the milage. Have you noticed how the H3 commercials seemed to have vanished? It's interesting, but I've always considered advertising a sign of the times... by the time a concept/issue has hit Madison Ave, it's something that it - identifiable and relevant to a large sector of the American public. I haven't seen many commercials that definitively mention peak oil - besides a couple of cool ones on MTV, and the creepy ones from the oil companies - but you can see the shift slipping into everyday life.


I'm happy, and content, and life feels - full.


I've realized, recently, how little I talk about C on here - and usually, it's not consious, but I am VERY consious of his privacy - I can lay MY guts out here online for all ya'll - but his guts are his business - until he drives me up a proverbial wall of course. *sigh* Men.

No comments: