Tuesday, October 11, 2005

*sniffs* what's that I smell?

Something has just become crystal clear for me - corporations, no matter how 'soft & fuzzy' they might claim to be, really don't give a flying fuck about the vast majority of their employees. Everything started going downhill at the start of the industrial age, once some bright accountants realized that machines could do the work of a man faster, harder, quieter, and with less nasty interference like strikes and safe work enviroment demands, and time off. Since then human labor has been the most costly, as well as the most easily dispensible aspect of a company.
Today, they tried to make me feel valued, involved, connected - like I am really part of the team. Bullshit. I'm a wageslave. The interests of the stakeholders (and I don't care how much stock they've 'given' you - if you are a peon, you AREN'T one of the stakeholders they give a damn about) start demanding more profit, more production, more efficiency, a tighter bottom line, more, more, more - guess who are going to be the first ones led to the chopping block? I can assure you that the CEO's salary/tax breaks/employment 'perks'  won't be touched - oh my, no. They might not actually come right out and FIRE the peons, oh no. They'll 'divest' certain areas of their business (which sounds so much better than laying off 2100 people). They'll turn into a more 'global' company (which sounds so much better than saying 'we're sending the jobs of those people we just laid off to Thailand'). We'll have to 'tighten' our belts, and 'sacrifice' for the benefit of the company. We might get tossed a few scraps, a couple of shares, to make a feel more - connected. But - we'll also have to spend more on our healthcare. Our insurance plans will have more exclusions, and a higher deductible. The raises will get smaller. The free coffee, isn't free anymore. The lunches in the company cafeteria will get more expensive.
Little piddly shit, right? That's only because I'm speaking from an IT perspective, which, I paid for, am still paying for, and really hope that I can keep my job long enough to actually pay off. Those unmentioned employees in those sites that are being 'divested'? Screwed. Those people whose jobs are moving overseas as we become a more global company? Screwed.
Of course, it's completely understandable. It's the real world of capitalism - those who have get over, and continue to collect, and those who have not get worked hard, wrung dry, and screwed over. I'm not saying that the model is flawed - it is what it is. I'm just no longer deluded into believing that I matter to this company in any way, shape, or form, and if I expect anything of them - right up to next months paycheck - I'm deluded, and while that delusion may not show up next month, it'll eventually be shown out as a delusion at some point. Unless I dump them first, I WILL get dumped right on my deluded ass for the sake of some one who is already richer than I'll ever be getting a little richer.

No comments: