Tuesday, November 1, 2005

Can money buy you happiness??

Can money buy you happiness??


Ya know, I was going to start out with a blanket 'Duh! Of course not!' but I realized - ya know, it depends on your interpetation of the question. What do YOU think would make you happy? How consistently happy do you have to be in order to say that it makes you happy? I mean - no matter how much money you have, you CAN'T be 'happy' 24/7, no more than you could be mad 24/7 because you were broke. There are going to be times when there is only .02 in the bank account and you are still quite happy. Then, there can be times where the account reads 2,000,000,000.00 and you are so sad you might briefly consider suicide.
So really, the question should be - do you think that money can provide everything you need to be more happy than sad? And that STILL depends on what you 'think' you need in order to be generally happy - and how much money we are talking about. The amount of happiness that 1.00 could 'get' most people, and the amount of happiness that 100,000.00 could 'buy' most people are very different. So, I'm going to abuse the question again, and say 'Do you think that having 10,000.00 added to your bank account daily (after taxes) would provide everything you need to be more happy than sad ?'
Now, for me personally, that would have me clicking my damn heels alllllll kinds of up and down the yellow brick road for a good long time. Will I be perfectly happy? No, I'm sure I won't - life isn't set up to be perfectly anything - happy or sad. Will I be happier on a daily basis than I am now? I still can't quite say yes - I think that my life would be more like how I would want it to be, which SHOULD make me happier - but then I'd just have to face a different set of incidents that would make me unhappy. Instead of having to deal with political crap at work, I'd have to deal with one of the kids crapping all over themselves at home. Instead of trying to figure out what to do to prevent me from being bored at work, I'd have to figure out how to keep myself from being bored at home.
Damn. I suppose the answer is STILL no, no matter how you put it. Which, really ya know, most likely should have been pretty damn obvious, simply because STUFF in and of itself can't make you happy. Happiness, when you really get down to the nitty-grittiness of it, is all in your head. The only way that money could 'buy' you happiness is if you brought enough psychotropic drugs to convince your brain that you were ALWAYS happy, and even then, I'm thinking there's a limit to how much you can fool Mother Nature. 


So yeah, after that vigrous round of mental fondling *ooohhhh - what a pretty brain you have... ;) ;)* I'm still going to have to stick with my original answer - Nah, it can't make you happier. It came make life easier, it can give you more stuff (and more drugs) but in the end *cue sappy music* only YOU can make you happy.

No comments: