Friday, April 28, 2006

Closing Time

Closing time
Open all the doors and let you out into the world
Closing time
Turn all of the lights on over every boy and every girl
Closing time
One last call for alcohol so finish your whiskey or beer
Closing time
You don't have to go home but you can't stay here

I know who I want to take me home
I know who I want to take me home
I know who I want to take me home

Closing time
Time for you to go out to the places you will be from
Closing time
This room won't be open till your brothers or your sisters come
So gather up your jackets, move it to the exits
I hope you have found a friend
Closing time
Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end


I know who I want to take me home
I know who I want to take me home
I know who I want to take me home
Take me home


- Semisonic


The last lines of that song have been running through my head all day - 'Closing time/Every new beginning comes from some other beginnings's end'


So yes, we closed. Gah - It's been a LONGGGGG arse day.... let's run through it, shall we??


8:20am - eyes pop open. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! It's Closing Day!! Hop up, shower, dress, check email, no email from Paige giving me directions - I know what the closing costs are from Mike, and Yahoo! gives me directions, so it don't really matter.
8:45 - wake up husband and tell him I'm going to the bank for the certified check.
9:05 - at bank, lady asks if I'm buyin a house, I say yes, she congratulates me and comments that I'm the THIRD person that morning to come in for a closing check. Apparently, a LOT of people close on the last day of the month.
9:20 - back at home, C is dressed, we discuss one car or two, decide on two - just in case things run long - head out. Stop to get some gas and water - cuz ya know, we don't keep the little bottles around.
10:00 - at the attorneys' office - everyones cheerful.
10:15 - Paige arrives, we are starting to sign stuff, I'm - oddly - quiet, I guess is the right word. It's not a weight on me - but it's - huge. A House? Holy shit. I've always wanted one - but the moment of achieving that which is desired is never QUITE as magical as we would like it to be, is it? In fact, it's usually (at least for me) a little sad. Maybe because I've reached the end of a road, and even though I'm glad to be moving on, I'mma miss that path, just a little bit.
11:00 - We're done! Paige gives me the key & a hug, Me & C take a picture, C heads out.
11:20 - For some reason, I'm still at the attorney's office - running mah mouth.
11:30 - Finally leave, lay the folder of closing documents on the hood of the car as I call my mom to tell her that we are officially home owners.
11:45 - While kiki'ing with my mom, realize that I LEFT the folder on the car, and being five blocks away from the lawyers office, this ain't good. Turn around, and see papers just blowing ALL OVER THE STREET.
12:00 - Park car, and proceed to walk up and down Stage Rd gathering the loan/closing papers. *groan*
12:40 - go BACK to the lawyers office, admit my utter dillheadishness, get another copy of the paperwork.
1:00 - arrive at the house - OUR house. Heh. Mr W (the former owner) is there cleaning stuff up - he gives me the rest of the keys, and a few last pointers before his wife calls and tells him to come on so she can deliver a cake.
1:35 - figure out which key belongs to which lock and which ones need to be duplicated, call Ms. Bella to confirm that we are still meeting for the boxes and camera.
2:00 - make a sudden decision and go to Meineke to see if they can tell me what's wrong with my brakes and how much it will cost to fix it.
2:10 - find out that my wheel lock has gone missing AGAIN (this is the third damn time) and head off to Home Depot to get a copy of the key made, and to pick up a plant for a thank you gift to Ms. Bella - her recommendation of Paige most likely saved my sanity, AND a couple thousand. You ROCK.
2:25 - become the proud owner of a Home Depot credit card with a relatively staggering limit.
2:45 - realize that I am STARVING, as I haven't eaten all day, and pull into Sonic for a wee snack.
3:00 - Meet Ms Bella, exchange baskets and plants - she & her hubby gave us a LOVELY collection of herbs - the perfect thing to start the herb garden!
3:30 - Swing by liqour store to pick up some celebratory champange.
4:00 - FINALLY back home, proceed to collapse in a giggling, drained, heap.
4:30 - Finish comparing the 'lost' papers to the new copy, realize that the WORST possible page to have missed (the front page of the loan application, that has the kind of info on it an identity thief would CREAM to get their hands on - shit, the only thing that WASN'T on there was my mothers maiden name) is missing. Desparately hope that it was one of the pages I saw go down the sewer drain.
4:45 - Call the credit unions and put a fraud alert on my account. Wonder dismally if the Home Depot card will ever arrive, much less work.
6:30 - stop stubbornly ignoring the packing that still needs to be done, and pull myself up to pack some more.
7:15 - finish the downstairs closet, glare at the kitchen, pour a glass of wine.



AAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!


It's been a reaaallllllyyyy long day. And - we're homeowners. But - ya know, it hasn't really sank in that - we have a new HOUSE. And - it's like - not an apartment. You should have seen me giggling madly over the fact that as I filled out the Home Depot application, I could now mark that I OWN and not that I rent. Holy Shinoli.


It's almost 8 now, and - the steps to upstairs are almost completely blocked with boxes and other stuff that I need to take upstairs to pack, but oh my gods, I'm so dang TIRED. And then, I planned on going to tBH and cleaning tomorrow. Shhhhhhhhhhessssha!!


So. Yes. We have Keys. We are Owners.


*grins giddily*


Oh, like - Wow. *grins* I'd be going to the house tomorrow ANYWAY to take pictues. Heh. So I just need to force myself to take lots of cleaning supplies - I think there is a DollarTree up there, as I realized that I don't own a 'real' mop, nor a bucket, and I be damned if I Swiffer that WHOLE place. Sheeeee.


But right now, I think I wanna let my brain rot, have another glass of wine, and mentally ponder whether my cat will come home before we move. *sigh* I'm leaving one cat behind here (and don't think I didn't consider unearthing Nikki - but - *wrinkles nose* ew. I think I'll just take the ivy I planted on his grave instead), and I don't want to leave two.


G'night ya'll.






No comments: