Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Haiyrh

I'm going to ramble on about my hair for a little while here - you can move along, really, nothing to see here.


So. Hair. It's always an interesting topic for black women - what do do with it, how to take care of it, how to style it, how to get it to grow. Any conversation involving more than three black women for ANY period of time will eventually stumble across the subject of hair.


It's not just hair for most of us - it's a symbol - truly, in the black community, the concept of a crowning glory ain't just limited to those hats. An out and fluffy afro makes most people think of the 70's, and Black Panthers. A short permed style - also known as the Halle Berry - gives the impression of sophisticated elegance. Locs - earthy/Return to Africa vibe.
And I'm not even going to get INTO the good hair/bad hair issues we have, remmants of slavery, rather akin to our just as sad skin color issues. So - hair - for most black people - is WAAAYYY more than the stuff that's on your head. It has - meaning.


Most black women though,  they relax (also called a perm - but it's to make hair straight, not curly) their hair - to make it straight, and shiny, and easily managable. Or, they get weaves (to do the same). Or they get the Jherri Curl (which seems to be much more popular in the South). Or - if they decide not to straighten their hair, they chop it all off and rock an itty bitty afro, or they loc it up - or they keep it braided.


All of which, are really valid - and usually gorgeous - ways to wear your hair. I was one of the loc'd up crowd, until I got sick of how - dead and dry and limp and STRAIGHT my hair was.  My natural hair is, in no way, shape, or form, straight. In fact, it's some of the kinkiest, curliest, nappiest, hair I've ever seen - and I LOVE it. But - I have no CLUE of how to take care of it.


When I was little, my hair was usually braided in two cornrows down the side of my head - I wore a headpiece most of the time, so it wasn't like I really NEEDED a style. And considering the fact that I HATED getting my hair done (combing through all that curly twisty goodness HURTED) - neither me nor my mother were really interested in experiementation.


I got my first relaxer over Christmas break of '95, and my hair was below my shoulders - and I promptly chopped it all of to a pixie cut.  I lived with the pixie cut for about 4 years - getting the occasional perm, but more often, getting my hair braided with artificial hair. I never really LIKED my permed hair - I have almost baby fine hair (and a shitload of it) and when I had a perm - I looked like a wet cat. I couldn't keep a curl because of how fine my hair was, and I quickly got sick of slapping lye on my head - and it was always the 'extra strong' stuff because of how nappy my hair is - despite the fact that it's fine as all get out.


I got my last perm in Feb of 99, and started keeping my hair braided almsot all the time. Sometimes, I could put them in double strand twists - but it was a PAIN. I would have to give up a day almost every weekend to undo, condition, grease, and redo my hair. I knew I wouldn't go back to the perm, and I knew that I was sick of spending 300.00 every two months to get my hair braided - and if I was going to keep it braided ANYWAY - why not just get locs?


So, November of 2001, I started locking my hair. I loved it - in the beginning. It was wild and wooly and EASY to manage and bouncy and - just - the bee's knees. But as they got older, and as I dyed it, and as my locs got weighed down with more shed hair - they got skinner and skinnier, and harder and harder - until there came a point when I realized that I didn't LIKE my hair much anymore. So, I started taking the locs out (cuz there was no way in hell I was going to cut all my hair off).


May 2006, I had loose hair for the first time in five years. It's - it's seriously amazing stuff. I'm in - awe, almost - of my hair. A lot of the awe is from ignorance (I've done more research on hair in the last month than I've done my entire life!) I realized that taking care of extra kinky, super fine hair is something - unique - really, and I have to learn what it - needs, what it likes, what helps it grow.  My goal - eventually - is to have loose, natural hair that goes about to the middle of my back. Not loc'd, not permed - just - my hair, out and natural.


*sigh* My hair grows FAST too - in the 2 months since I've dyed it, it's grown at least an inch and a half - which is on the high end of the normal range - however, the challANGE! for me is learning how to take CARE of my hair, so that I keep all that length. One thing that I'm going to have to do is stop dying it - I KNOW that's causing my ends to dry out and break off and just generally do things that are not conducive to lots and lots of hair. However, I stubbornly refuse to live with fading red hair (ie, orange!) so - I'm going to start using henna (all natural, no funky metals) to dye my hair. I have a friend in Nashville who has some of the most GORGEOUS red hair - and she's been using Henna for years. Her hair also goes to the middle of her back - so it certainly doesn't IMPEDE growth.


So yes, I've found a new obsession. It's odd how the things that I'm getting into all link together. I'm eating better, so I can lose weight (10 pounds lost so far!), and that helps my hair grow!! Along with all the water. It's - funny, really - how much jsut being healthy supports - everything!


So. That's my hair ramble. I've gone over bits and pieces of this - but I wanted to write it all down - so that 6 months from now, when I'm bitterly cursing all this damn hair, and want to chop it off, I can read this, and remember how - glorious - my real hair really is.


No comments: