Monday, July 24, 2006

Honey

So - last week, I scooped up some honey. I planned on mixing it with the henna so that it would rinse out easier (once I get my henna!!) but Friday I realized that my hair was really, really dry. I'm suspecting it's because the temperature was in the high 90's low 100's all week, and despite actually being a good girl and co-rinsing my hair twice that week - it just wasn't enough to keep a healthy bit of moisture in the hair.
So - Saturday, I came here and rummaged around to see what kind of information there was about honey. I remembered that SMT had honey in it, but I didn't have any aloe vera gel, so I knew that was out. However, I stumbled across a few threads that said that they just mixed the honey with some conditioner, tossed it into their hair, and it came out wonderful.

I promptly got up, whipped up a batch of conditioner and honey (half & half) put it into my dry hair (it was MUCH more runny than I expected - I understood why they said you should mix it with a THICK conditioner), slapped a showercap on top, and sat for a couple of hours. I had sticky spots behind my ears and down my neck, but I could feel my hair soaking in the moisture. I rinsed it out shortly before I left the house to go clubbing, and I noticed that my hair was DEFINITELY softer, and seemed less tangled. I had PLANNED on following up with an ACV rinse, since I know that helps close the cuticles and reduces the tangliness- but then I was invited out, and I didn't want to worry about smelling like - well, a douche. And yes, yes, I know you aren't supposed to be able to smell the ACV after it dries, but I wasn't willing to test it out in the club!!

So! I liked the honey - it made my hair nice and soft - but it felt a lil crunchy after it dried completely. I'm not sure if it was maybe because I put it on dry hair, or if I didn't wash all the honey out or something - but I thought maybe I just used too much honey, so next time, I would use 2 parts conditioner to 1 part honey.

I did that this morning - I figured that if my hair isn't THAT tangled, I might as well comb it out and recondition it to see if it would get a little softer. I mixed 2 pt condish with 1pt honey (and emptied out a conditioner bottle, so now I have something convienent to hold the honey in!!) and slapped it into my hair (wet this time) and let it sit while I washed my body.

My hair actualyl felt - SOFT. Like - almost to that mushy feeling that I think hair get's when it's over-conditioned/too moist - but it combed out like a dream - I barely had to tug the comb through it at ALL - and it stayed that way after I rinsed it out - it was - amazing, quite honestly. I've NEVER seen my hair so, so - SOFT. I've been pulling at my 'tanglespot' (behind my left ear) all day, and I've got tangles - but they come apart SO much easier.

Another good thing I noticed was that a LOT of shed hair came out. I have - outrageously thick hair, and a large part of my tangles is shed hair 'tying' itself around the ends of my hair - so I might have a strand that is three times longer than it should be because it's created from three strands of hair tied together end to end. Because my hair is dyed, I can INSTANTLY tell the difference between shed hair and broken off hair - my shed hair has a 1.5 inch long black 'root', whereas the browkn off ones are golden brown/orange all the way from root to tip. So - as I was combing through my slowly drying hair this morning, I was SHOCKED to see how much shed hair was coming out - and quite throughly pleased, I must admit.

So - Honey is going to be a permanent addition to my bathroom now!!!

No comments: