Thursday, July 27, 2006

Water Only Thoughts

So, I've been reading the thread about using only water to wash your hair, and I'm rather honestly intrigued.
When I had locs, I rarely felt a NEED to wash my hair. My hair didn't seem to get dirty - it would smell good most of the time, but sometimes i would just feel the NEED to wash my hair. However, I would condition my hair on a regular basis just to keep it feeling soft and flexible.

Now, with loose hair, I still rarely feel the need to WASH it - that was one of the main reasons I switched to co-washing - because my hair so very rarely gets dirty, but I need to keep it conditioned.

After reading most of the WO thread (I'm on page 86 of 101) I'm thinking that WO might work for me. I noticed a few days ago what when I give myself a scalp massage, my hair gets VERY soft and conditioned - and I'm wondering if it's because I'm spreading the sebum down my hair strands, and my natural oils and juices and enough for my hair.

My main concern though - I NEED to put something into my hair to get the tangles out - that's mainly why I use conditioner now - to comb through my hair. But - at the same time, I've begun to notice that MOST - I'd say 90% of my tangles are caused by either shed hair, or broken ends getting tangled on the ends of my hair. Now! I figure that hopefully *crossing fingers tightly* the henna will strengthen my poor, poor overprocessed ends enough so that they won't break off as much. And! I figure that the Sweet Success Oil (Moondancer's Blend) will help the shedding (as most folx who use it say that they shed a LOT less).
In addition, if the henna loosen my curls some, I figure that whatever sheds/breaks will be more able to leave my hair without tying itself to my ends.

Also, I've been thinking about using honey as a 'combthrough' - something that won't strip the sebum off my hair (does honey strip sebum???) but at the same time, will give me enough slip that I can comb through.

Excited, am I. Let me go and finish reading this thread, and I'll post a few questions to the thread to clear things up.

No comments: