Monday, September 25, 2006

Hmm.
Okay - did henna #9 over the weekend
1 bag of henna
healthy drizzle of ASC oil
healty drizzle of honey
lots of conditioner.

And - I think I'm about done with hennaing my hair. After I had rinsed the henna out, DC'd and WP'd my hair, I went out into the sun with a mirror, and looked really, really, REALLY hard at my roots - and - nothing. Okay - there is a 'sheen'. A bit of a 'glimmer' even - but red? *snorts* Nay. So - if after 9 henna treatments, I'm not getting much red anywhere on my naturally colored hair, I'm going to accept *sniffsniff* that I'm going to be going back to my natural hair color.
Now, I must admit, I will still henna my hair - most likely much more infrequently - it might become part of a bimonthly cycle, or something along those lines. So - I'm going to use these last two henna packets, use part of the henna I'm getting from FNWL to make some hair oil, and tuck the rest away in the freezer until I'm ready to give my hair a boost of shine and strength.

I plan on using the stuff from FNWL to make hair oil, and a hair butter - I'd love to get something like WP out of this stuff. I also have some Elasta QP Mango Butter (that I LOVED) sitting in my cupboard - it has cones in it, so I quit using it for cowashing, but - I still refuse to give it away. Anyhow - I want to try to make a cone free version. Really, I want to make a cross between WP, the Elasta MB, and the ACS oil. Just a one stop hair buttering shop.

I twisted my hair last night with loads of WP - my hair is still slightly oily today, but a LOT of the oil has soaked into my hair. Also, since I'm working out, that extra oil will get rinsed off over the week.


It's interesting - I really wish I had kept track (or at least taken pictures!) of my hair before I locked it up - I really have no recollection of what my hair USED to be like. I think that I have an old college ID photo of my with two strands twists - 50 pounds light and 7 years younger (I think the weight's done me worse than the years), but other than that - most of the pictures I have of me from BL (before locs) my hair is in braids. Even the period of time leading UP to me having locs - I remember that the main reason I went to locs is that I figured I would always have my hair 'up' - either in braids or in twists, and rather than spending all that money to have someone else do it, I could do it myself. But then - the interesting thing is that it would take me the ENTIRE weekend to do my hair - untangling it was a chore, and washing and then combing AGAIN and then retwisting - and compared to what I do now - I'm not sure if I was making it harder on myself than it really NEEDED to be, or if my hair is going to turn back into an unholy terror once it get to be a good bit longer. I honestly - don't remember. I have no hair history - I can't even remember how LONG it was- though, for some reason I'm PRETTY sure that the front twist could go under my chin stretched - which is about 12 inches.

I've more or less decided that I'm going to have braids put into my hair. I'm going to henna again this weekend, then for the last time for a while next weekend (Oct 7th). Our housewarming is Oct 21st, so I'd like to have the braids put in the weekend between that - Oct 14th. That would actually work out perfectlllllly. I'm still split between kinky twists, regular braids, or cornrows. I've found a salon that I THINK I will be comfy with - they seem to be reasonally priced, they include the hair in the cost (I need to find out what kind of hair they use) and they don't ask that you press your hair before coming to the shop to get it done. *sigh*
Kinky twists or braids though? I think I might ask them which last longer, and go with whichever one lasts the longest. They also offer touchup for 50 bucks - Hmmmmmmmmm - I might be able to keep braids in for a good long while - I would really like to have my hair 'bound up' all winter, so that I won't be obsessing about it during it's time of less growth.

No comments: