Saturday, September 30, 2006

Henna #10 is complete, as well as the coconut/lime experiment, and I must say - WOW. I really need to get a camera.

So - I started putting together my experiment Friday morning - I opened a can of coconut milk, and was thrilled to see that it had separated, so the thick creamy bits were all on top, and underneath it was the thin watery stuff. I poured off most of the watery stuff, and dumped the cream into a bowl. I cut open a lime, and squeezed the whole thing in. I used a whole lime instead of a half lime because - well, the lime looked so LITTLE. I mixed it all together, and stuck it into the fridge.

Friday night, I pulled it out of the fridge, and it was an almost solid block. I didn't see any of the foaming that was refered to in the original article, so I figured I'd just put all of it into my hair. I went to the bathroom and started squishing it into my hair - and it was SOOOO thick and - hard - almost that it just sat on top of my hair. I added some ACS oil, and a little water, and mixed it together until it was the consistency of conditioner. It still had some gritty bits in it, but at least I could get it into my hair. That stuff was COLLLLLDDDD - I can tell you that much - I wonder if it actually got semi-frozen while it was in the fridge.

So - left that in for about 4 hours, rinsed it out, and slapped Henna #10 in. I switched up the mix a bit - I used the remnants of the ACS that I used to make the oil instead of using ACS oil itself. I didn't want to toss out the stuff, but it was so oily that I couldn't imagine what else to do with it. I left that in overnight, as usual.

Rinsed out today, slapped in the deep conditioner (WR, honey, the last scrapings of V05, ASC oil) and left that in my hair for about 3 hours.

When it came time to comb out my hair - I noticed that it was VERY soft, but strong, and almost untangled itself. I went and took a look at it - and it was - just plain lovely. I wish that I had a camera so that I could take a picture of it - but it was LOVELY. My kinks were definitely looser, and my hair was soft, soft, soft!!

So - I'm totally happy with the results, and while I most likely won't do this EVERY week (coconut milk ain't cheap), I will definitely do this anytime my hair seems to need a reallllllly deep conditioning.

In other happy hair growth news - I'm sitting here right now with two flat twists in my hair - on either side of my head!!! My hair is OFFICIALLY long enough to start doing the 'measuring' that I was talking about - so, my hair has grown enough/is long enough for me to truly start my measuring - I'll keep track by remeasuring the last day of every month (or, if my hair is bound up, the closest day that it's loose to the end of the month).

Sept 30, 2006 - My 'tail' just touching my shoulder - It's about the length of a lighter (I have no CLUE where my measuring tape is), but I'm guestimating 3.5 inches.

In Hairstyle related news - I HAVE to learn how to cornrow, really, I do. I can never get them to look the same on both sides on my head - one side is 'under' and the other side is 'over'. I like the way the 'under' looks better......but I can't figure out how the heck I'm doing it. Maybe I'll wander about and find some hairstyle guides.

Oh! I went to Hancock Fabrics Friday night, and they didn't have a SCRAP of 100% acrylic yarn. The closest they had was 80% acrylic, 20% wool....and even that was in funky colors. I'm thinking that I might actually have to *gasp* go to Walmart. *weeps* I plan on going grocery shopping tomorrow, and I'll MIGHT go by then. Or, since I know that I'm not going to do it this weekend, I might go to the Walmart near my job Monday.

I keep stoking my head, because my hair is SOOOOO soft. I don't think I've ever felt my hair THIS soft. I can't wait to see what it feels like dry - I've rubbed a little WP on the outside of my flatwists, just because I want to see what it feels like product free.

No comments: