Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I'm bored out of my gourd at work, and one of my favorite timewastingsites is down, so I guess I'll write another journal entry.

I'm slowly coming to terms with the idea that most (if not all) of my bleached/dyed hair is going to break off - even with the strengthening of the henna - it's just not going to make it. I sit at work (or in the car, or at home) and gently run my fingers down individual twists, and these tiny, 1/4 - 1/2 inch strands of hair will come off in my fingers, and I cringe everytime I see them -ARRGHH!! I'm losing hair!! But then, I have to take a deep breath, and remind myself that this WILL happen - the hair is still damaged (stronger, yes, but still damaged) thinner, finer, and drier than my virgin hair - it's GOING to break off, quite simply.

Another thing I've noticed, which makes sense based on the above, is that my roots are MUCH thicker than my ends - I'm talking MUCH denser, much thicker - enough to be obvious to the eye when looking at a clump of hair. I suspect that I went through a major shedding cycle shortly before I took my locs out, and that was one of the contributers to their sudden thiness/blahness - which means that all of the new hair that started growing after that is about all of a year old - so I have an 'undercoat' of much thicker hair.

With all that said - I can still tell a difference between my hair now, and my hair a few months ago - it's definitely longer, and it's also healthier. I haven't figured it out fully yet, but I think that the longer my hair gets, the thicker it will seem to be - is that an aspect of kinky hair, or is that a side effect of fine hair? I'm pretty certain that my twists will be 'fatter', simply because the hair will still shrink up to be about the same length, but the hairs themselves will be longer - so there will be more volume in the same amount of length - which would make it a side effect of kinky hair. I'm waiting eagerly to be able to put my hair into a ponytail so that I can measure it and determine my thickness.

No comments: