Wednesday, June 6, 2001

Gather 'round...

Well.. since No Mermaid asked, and I’m not sure if I ever really recorded the sad tale of how I managed to be almost grown and still not driving… here goes the tale:

When my mother and step father got divorced for the last time (in 1990) me & my mom moved in with my grandma. As our finances were rather tight, my mother used my grandmothers car to get to work and so forth. In addition, I was not allowed (on the pain of death & higher insurance payments) to touch the car. Well and good, because my high school offered driving classes to any student over the age of 16. My birthday is in January, so after Christmas break I planned on taking driving courses…however, over Christmas break, the school board met and decided to stop offering driving courses as it cost too much. Another plan down the drain. None of my friends/boyfriends had a car, and as we lived about 20 minutes from Philly, public transportation was great, and therefore there was really no pressing reason for me to get a car…thus no real pressing reason for me to get a license. My mother got her own car…the summer before I started college. Why didn’t I learn over that summer? Because I was in Atlanta in a pre-freshman program…. *sighs* I think she did that on purpose….
Graduation from high school came and went, and I went to college in Atlanta. Not only was it a warm city, it was a city that had pretty good public transportation as well… at least to everywhere that I wanted to go. So…for another 5 years, I put off getting a license…and as I knew that even if I had a license I wouldn’t be able to get my hands on a car (much less a car to take the driving test WITH) there was still no hurry. I had a state ID… I could get everywhere I wanted to go… why bother?
Then… I moved to Indy. A cold place, with public transportation that.. to put it bluntly… SUCKS!!!! But… I didn’t think that I would be able to swing car payments… at least not starting off. But now, another winter is approaching, and my lease to my expensive ass apartment is about to end… so I’m getting a license and a car…. all before September 1st hopefully….

And THAT is the tale of this 24 year old non-driver….

Stay Jazzed….

No comments: