Monday, June 19, 2000

Glug Glug Splash...

….I was a water baby today.

It’s amazing that every time this state announces an official state of drought, that is when it starts to rain every day. Coincidence? Maybe…maybe not. Anyhow… I had fun in the rain. It was that warm rain, the rain that makes you just WANT to jump in puddles and splash friends and pull out the super soaker and go a little crazy. As all of my friends are scattered in points north, and the streets aren’t QUITE clean enough for my adult sensibilities, instead I rushed home, stripped down to the essentials, threw on a wrap and stood on my back step, doing a little one two three giggle dance in the rain.

It was pouring at this point, solid sheets or warm water that felt like the firmest iron fingers within a silken glove. I was soaked in seconds, my hair dripping, my skin glowing, my underwear permanently soaked. And it felt SOOO good. I can’t remember the last time I have felt so much like a child. I wished I had a long thin tee-shirt so that I could really relive some childhood memories and go and run in the grass wearing nothing but a tee & some draws. Instead I stood on the stoop and splashed and danced and turned around in the rain holding my hands up to the sky like I was trying to catch wishes & dreams. I am sure if anyone had seen me they would have quietly called the men in the white coats, and told them to hurry, because this black woman had for sure gone crazy now.

I was ready to go inside as the rain started to ease up, a little chill from the breeze that had started to blow. Inside, I jumped directly into a warm shower, and continued my celebration of the meeting of water & skin & hair. I washed my hair and my body, because as wonderful as the rain is, I am nervous about what it might have pulled out of the sky along with it.

This was one of those days that is best spent at home, gazing out of the window at the water outside, occasionally dancing out to join it. This was a day to be curled up with a pet & a book & a lover...basking in love & relaxation. I couldn’t do any of that today…work called instead. But I think that I tried my best to make up for it, cuz for a few minutes at the end of my day…I was a water baby…

Stay Jazzed.

No comments: