Tuesday, March 1, 2005

3/1/05

1. Here is a list of items some people would consider "expensive." Please bold all the items that you spend money on regularly or occasionally.
-Hardcover books purchased new from a local bookstore
-Full service restaurant meals
-Espresso or Cappuccino from a coffee shop
-Premium, clove, or imported cigarettes

-Exotic produce
-High end make up/cosmetics
-Premium gasoline
-Professional quality or luxury type shampoos, conditioners, etc.
-Salon services such as waxing, manicures or pedicures
-Health care
-Designer clothes, shoes, handbags
-Not from concentrate Orange juice
-Massages
-Fresh Flowers
-The latest, top of the line computer equipment
-Brand new car
-Having your car professionally detailed
-Premium digital cable TV


2. Of the things that you bolded above, are there any that you consider "necessities" rather than "indulgences?" If so, which ones and why?
No - I think that they are all indulgeneces - nice little things to have, but certainly items I can live without.

3. Of the items listed in number one, which would you NEVER purchase, and why?
Premium gasoline - I doubt that I'll ever OWN a car that really needs it.


4. Name two or three of your favorite vices. How much money do you estimate you spent on them in the last six months?
Ohhh - cigarettes, books, and alcohol. Over the last six months? At least 500.00 bucks.....and that's mostly for the books!


5. How much do you pay for a bottle of shampoo?
Ummm - about 3 bucks? I've started to go with the cheaper shampoos, since I use so dang much of it. I really drop the cash on conditioner though - yowch!


6. When a new book by your favorite author comes out, do you run out to your nearest bookstore and buy it immediately no matter what the cost? If not, what do you do instead?
No - never. I either get it from the library and read it, or wait till it comes out in paperback.


7. What is the most money you ever paid for a meal out? Describe the meal. Was it worth it?
The most? Maybe 180.00 for me & C. But as our standard meal is usually around 100.00 anyhow - I don't really remember.


8. How many times per week do you eat out? Fast food or dine in?
Maybe twice a month we do to a restaurant - maybe once a week we'll get some fast food.


9. Is your primary vehicle considered a "gas guzzler?"
Oh heeellll no. I get close to 40 miles to the gallon (gotta love a stick) and with normal driving/errands a full tank will last me for about 2 weeks.


10. What's the most you ever paid for a car?
16K I think? For my first, (and most likely ONLY) brand new Mazda.


11. Describe your favorite personal care or cosmetic indulgence and tell how much it cost.
Umm....I'd guess it would have to be my Patene conditioner. I don't think I've used anything else in well over 5 years, and a bottle costs about 7 bucks - but I go through about a bottle every three months - so that's really not much.


12. Do you ever shop as a recreational activity when you don't actually NEED anything at the moment?
Only books - but who really ever NEEDS books (outside of school books of course!)


13. Are you willing to pay extra to buy at locally owned shops versus discount stores? Why or why not?
*hangs head* I'm ashamed to say that I am not willing to pay extra for ANYTHING.


14. Is there any kind of health care that you are scrimping on right now because it is so costly that you can't justify the expense?
Nope - thankfully we are both in great health.


15. Do you hire help to clean your home? How often and for how much money?
Ohhh....that's a dream of mine - I would loooovvveee to have a maid, but no.


16. If you drink coffee, what kind do you drink and how much does it cost? Do you make it at home or do you buy it at the coffee shop? Is it McDonald's rotgut coffee? Have you ever belonged to Gevalia or a similar service?
I get coffee from the office coffeshop ocassionaly - about two bucks for a 'tall'. That's it - I'm not that into coffee.


17. Plain old toothbrush or high priced sonic toothbrush?
I've got one of those cheapie Crest ones - which I hate as the batteries are always going wonky. I need to get a regular old one again.


18. What is your favorite non-necessity indulgence? How much does it cost? Why is it worth it? How often do you allow yourself this indulgence?
Books, dude, books. I try to shop cheap - library sales, half-price bookstore, dollar store - but I'm usually helpless to the lure of a fresh, unmarked, lovely book. I'd sayI spend close to a grand a year on books/magazines, and I allow myself it almost every time I walk past a bookstore. Yes, I'm a nerdy mcnerd.

No comments: