Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Certification Comments

General: I know tons and tons of doulas who are not certified and this makes them no worse a doula, and I know some who are certified and in my opinion could be better doulas.


ALACE:
It was formerly Informed Homebirth and is the only program that was created by a midwife and promotes education and support based on a midwifery model of care.
I really loved it, particularly the philosophy and approach to the work, as well as the practical knowledge that is apart of the training, bringing women’s healthcare back into the hands of women.
The training I received was geared towards supporting women in hospitals and how to navigate the often antagonistic
if not hostile attitude of attending doctors and/or nurses.


CAPPA:
I have been hearing from current doulas about how they feel that CAPPA is not as well organized as it should be. I also found out that quite a few experienced doulas withdrew from CAPPA.

DONA:
As far as recognition goes the Hositals in Maryland readily recognize DONA. I know doulas certified through the other agencies who work in the area and people like myself who read the material but did not take any classes and also work but it is harder with out those little letters.
DONA too has it's ups and down, but I love the fact that they are in cohoots with Lamaze now .... PLUS their certification process to me seems more 'challenging',


GBI:
GBI (Global Birth Institute) here in Canada. I will be applying to their 10 month Diploma in Perinatal Services. This
is THE ONLY organization in the world that you can receive a diploma for these services.


ICEA:
I also really appreciate the mentorship and international model that is apart of ICEA’s program
From what I have researched, ICEA looks to be the one that works you the hardest, and this is good.


No comments: