Saturday, July 30, 2005

The Ethical Slut

I've gotten a couple of notes on this book, so let me go into a little more detail....


The Ethical Slut: A Guide to Infinite Sexual Possibilities (this is a ever so convienent link to it on Amazon - it opens in a new window - read the reviews!)


Soo....what's this book all about?? It basically starts out with (looks around for it-damn, it's in the car) an explanation of how the authors (two non-mongamous women who grew up in the 70's) discovered the fact that they weren't rally wired for monogamy - and how they came to realize that it wasn't necessarily a BAD thing.

It then continues with talking about the sex-negative thoughts that we grow up with, the concepts/internal assumptions that we make about love and sex, and how to 'get over them'.

The book is full of interesting insights, and things that made me go - OH MY GOD!! This is soooooooooo me....it talks about how to handle jealousy, how to fuck up a non-mongamous life, and ideas on how to make sure that everyone you are dealing with is happy. I like the book, because if gives me insights on how to build the BEST relationship possible - not only with my hubby, but with myself, and with my friends - and potential lovers.


It's a REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLY good book - and yeah, the title is deliberately shocking, but it really is a consice description of the book - how to be a 'slut' (someone who loves and who has sex with as many people as they WANT to) and yet still remain, ethical, happy, and LOVING (most importantly of all). A couple of the reviews say that the book is rather male-bashing, and now I'm going to have to re-read it to see if I see that - I thought it was very balanced....covering both lesbian/bi/hetero relationships - with all KINDS of variations thereof.


BUY IT!! It's only 12 bucks!! Buy multiple copies of it! Read it - I think I'm on my third or fourth reading of it, and I'm STILL getting new insights/suprises/confirmations. Even if you AREN'T poly/cheating/in love with more than one person/trying to figure out your root sexuality - it's a great read.



No comments: