Saturday, December 23, 2006

WHoohooo!!

Okay - it's been a busy weekend, hair wise. I took Friday off, just because I felt like it, whic of course, gave me more time to play with my hair!

The haircut! I cut my hair on Solstice, because - well, not ONLY was it the right moon time, it's the season of renewed growth and energy.... so, yeah.
I took down my 'normal' hairdo, combed it out, then put it into about 12 tight, tight braids.


I then snipped off most of the thin, gnarly ends....


Leaving me with this.....


I figure that I cut off about an inch - maybe a little more, maybe a little less, in some areas. I FINALLY got why some folx said that when they cut off the thinner ends, their whole head of hair felt thicker. I don't know why, but it suddenly felt like I had about twice as much hair on my head as I did BEFORE I cut - and combing it out was a dream! But then, I'm comb happy anyway.


So - Thursday night - after I cut my hair, I mixed up a new bunch of henna. I know, I know - too soon! But - I really wanted to see how the FNWL henna would work - and I give it an unabashed thumbs up.
1) Dye released in about 45 minutes - and all I used was hot water + a little citric acid.
2) VERY goopy/snotty/stickytogethery - I just put a LITTLE conditioner into it, and it went into my hair with ease.
3) STRONG dye - I started putting it in with bare hands (brain fart) and by the time I realized it, my hands were a BRIGHT orange - which, is very pleasing.
4) Rinsed out easily - I left it in for about 14-16 hours, and I was worried that it would dry out, but nope - it rinsed out like a dream.

I ended up with the same great henna conditioning/shine - and I noticed that my hair was DISTINCTLY thicker - something I don't remember noticing before.

I had clarified my hair with baking soda & conditioner before I henna'd, so it was extra curly, but it combed out with no problems with the conditioner - and I didn't even leave it in that long - I did the whole thing in the shower. I finished off with my usual cool water rinse.

Then - I went to go and condition/style it. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it, so I just parted it, coated it with WP, and put it into about 20-30 two strand twists. Then, jsut becuase I was bored (and I didn't like the Pookie look) I put all the twists into bantuknots, and went to bed.

So - that brings us to Saturday. I needed to go out, so I figured that I would take out the twists, comb it out, and put it into my usual style, but once I started pulling them out, I found that they pulled out into tiny TIGHT little curls - I've seen folx whose hair naturally looks like this. I pulled them all out, and separated them a bit to hide the parts, and voila! New style!!





I'm really interested to see how well this lasts after sleeping on it, etc.

No comments: