Monday, December 11, 2006

So - henna'd and conditioned my hair over the weekend - then left it out in a wild free fro, and oh, the tangles! The knots! My hair is just plain NOT happy about being left to it's own devices.

Anyhow, I was looking at my hair, and I was moaing over how SHORT it is. Yes, yes, I know it's short - but sometimes I'm - shocked - by how short it is. This awareness in no way shape or form makes me want to NOT trim - as I've set it up in my mind that - well, that I haven't really started GROWING my hair just yet - I'm just getting it to be at a healthy baseline. And in my mind, that healthy baseline is when my hair is all virgin - no bleached, fragile, worn out ends - all fresh hair. And from THAT point - that is when I'm going to seriously start GROWING my hair. *pats head fretfully* I have to keep remnding myself that it's only been - what - 8 months, and I have at least 4 inches of fresh growth - which includes the wintertime (during which my hair does jackall) which means I'm growing a good 1/2(or so) a month - which is rather good. So. *deep breath* Patience, patience, patience, I must always remember and be patient.

So - my hair is neatly bound up now, and I've started doing something new with the ends - twisting, then braiding them into a single braid, and tucking it into the middle. Not only does it hold the whole style more securely, it also 'conceals' the usually fuzzy part in the back, making the whole thing ever so much neater.

In general - the roots are distinctively thicker than my ends. I'm not sure if it's just the curliness of my hair, or if it's the broken offness of my ends, but - I do remember dealing with this before - my roots being so much thicker than my ends, but then again - I haven't had VIRGIN hair on the ends of my hair since - god. Since.................97? 95? I honestly can't remember - I've been dying my hair for SOOOO long. So, this should be interesting. It's also funny seeing how the texture of my hair changes - when I clarify, or when I deep condition, or when I get it wet and let it airdry - each one gives me a different type of curl, a different color of hair - I feel like a hair chameleon at times. Of course, it's always short though - unless it's dripping wet with conditioner, it's barely long enough to be called an actual afro, and pulling individual strands is almost a magic trick along the lines of the never ending hankercheifs.
But occasionally, the rampant difficulty of my hair will give me hope - like when I discovered a shed strand of hair had tied itself to one of the strands that was still atacched to my head, thus giving me a strand that was twice as long, as was CLEARLY APL - which thrilled and delighted me to no end, as that means I'm halfway to APL, which in my mind is another year and a half - which isn't that long at all.

I've also started to think about how I'm going to have to/want to/need to change my supplement list, assuming that I want to get knocked up in the next six months or so. I know that I'm going to have to stop taking the MSM - it can act as a blood thinner, and we want the blood to be nice & thick. The biotin I will stick with, and I'm going to switch to a topical sulfur mix - homemade MTG. The Omega 3/6/9 I'll also most likely stick with - though, I might add some EPO to it as well, if needed, to help regulate my cycles. I've gotta get a basal thermometer, so that I can start taking my temps. I'm actually getting excited thinking about this - the process and so forth. I refuse to even consider how we will handle it if it takes a while - though, after reading more about fertility, really, it seems like a miracle of timing that ANYONE gets pregnant at ALL - especially by accident. OF course, getting knocked up is a grand way to get the hair growing - though, it doesn't stick around, but STILL.

Hrrm. I think that's about it, for now.

No comments: