Monday, February 17, 2003

Cold

Winter always stirs conflicts in me, since i can't decide between liking the season for it's beauty or hating the season for the inconvinence it always causes.

I drove to KY to visit with Corey this weekend, despite the wetherman's threats, and the fresh snow that was falling as I left the house on Saturday. I drove slowly, secure in the fact that I have a car that is almost as heavy as a small SUV and has all-wheel drive. The road conditions weren't too bad - and as I got further from Indy, they actually became clearer.
It was gorgeous - the whole drive there. The sun was slowly peeking through the colds and the world was pure dazzling white. A single strip of dark gray marked the road, and the occasional spots of a colored car going west were the only bits of color that I could see. It took me almost 2 hours to complete a trip that is usually only 1 hour & 15 minutes - but the visual entertainment made it go by almost as fast.

Our weekends are always good - always way too short since we try to pack a week's worth of interaction and catching up on sleep and running errands into a mere two days - but we coexisist in such peace that our mad dashes don't seem to be quite as irratating as they would be if we were doing them alone.
He loved his early-birthday gifts (as I knew he would) and we didn't even mention Valentines Day to each other. We came to a happy agreement on that holiday our first year together, and I don't think that we have mentioned it since.

My trip back home is always longer than the trip there - both mentally and timewise. I leave on Monday morning, and the only thing that I'm looking forward to at the end of the trip is arriving at my warm house and being greeted by the cats. The snow that swooped through the midwest did a nice job on the roads and I found myself driving a very cautious 30mph most of the way to work. The trip bavk took close to three hours - but the only thing more beautiful than fresh snow in the moonlight is fresh snow at dawn.
I hated every moment of my drive back - the lack of speeding while I drive always gets me down - but the COLORS...some of the palest pastel blues and pinks and greens I've ever seen were reflected in the snow as the sun made it's slow ascent behind the clouds. The highway was mostly deserted, and I would look in the rear view mirror and see nothing but slowly lightening darkness behind me.

It's a horrid horrid season - but it's an amzingly pretty one at the same time. I truly wished that I had a good digital camera with me - I would have stopped several times.

Of course - I wouldn't have gotten OUT of the car. There is nothing pretty enough for me to suffer winds in the single digits. Nothing.

No comments: