Tuesday, February 4, 2003

Sky

I've seen many entries about the Columbia Space Shuttle - and they seems to go either one of two ways - weeping for this 'national tradegy' or wondering why it's even classified as a national tradgey. I'm firmly in the latter camp.

I wanted to be an astronaut as a child - or an archeologist. The astronaut career I had to abdandon when I found out that you had to have uncorrected vision of at least 20/40 - which I most likely didn't have when I was born. I gave up on archeology because I wouldn't make enough money. (See previous entry on my opinions of money-making).

Even as a child I KNEW that space travel was dangerous. A human NEEDS air to breathe, and space is totally air-free. Yes, it's rather simplistic, and doesn't cover even a fraction of the tragedies that can occur - but I had a childs understanding. I'm sure that each of those seven astronauts had that SAME understanding - and still felt that yes, it was worth their LIVES to travel to space. Even though I may never see the world from space - I understand and respect the decision they made.

With that understanding and respect - it makes no sense for this incident to be any more of a national tragedy than the deaths of 7 construction workers - 7 soliders - 7 deepsea oil rig workers - 7 policemen. It IS a deeply persoanl tragedy for each of the families and friends of those who die - but that is the effect of any death.

Perhaps we as a country have too many national tragedies - or maybe we don't have enough. If the President took time out of his day to lead the Nation is mourning for EVERY American soul who dies a violent and wrongful death - he wouldn't have time to plan a war that will guarentee several hundred (at the minimum) violent and unnessary deaths.
How many people will we have to send to their deaths in the Oil Fields of Iraq before it becomes a national tragedy?


The sky's the limit...

No comments: