Friday, June 23, 2006

Boooooookkkkssss......

*twitches*
It's sad - it really is. Every - okay, 99% - of the books I currently own are still packed away nice & tight, because the library hasn't been painted yet. And yet, what do I do? I buy MORE books! Why? Because *hangs head* I have a problem....

Hello, My name is Kiya, and I'm addicted to Reading. (this is where ya'll chime in).

It started ever so innocently (this time). I was given two books on Egypt at the Midsummer Festival, and I wanted to rummage about on some of the Kemetic boards and see if there was any info on the scholary qualities of the authors. I didn't find anything, but reading about 'The Mind of Egypt' by Jan Assman (wonderful book, am still only about 1/3 of the way through it!) reminded me that I hadn't gone to bookcloseouts.com in a good little while (which was where I got the Assman book - for about 80% off cover price). Of course, that meant that I had to go to bookcloseouts - just to see what they HAD - as their inventory varies frequently.  Now, I'm going to issue a fair warning - if you're a bookfreak of any shape, size, or form - avoid this website. I've had checking accounts of friends put hits on me for introducing this website to them.  Annnyhow! I go, and I browse, and I get four books.  Total price (including shipping)? 32.something.  Orginal price of JUST the books? 99.80!! One of them (Temples of Ancient Egypt ) was originally 49.95 - they had it for 9.99!!!!! 
Seee - this is why I LOOOOVE this website.  Anyhow! Four Books:
Ancient Egypt (2nd Revised Edition) by  Moorey, P. R. S. (Textbook type book)
Pharaoh's People: Scenes from Life in Imperial Egypt by James, T. G. H. (covers the lives of the 'average' Egyptian)
Popular Stories of Ancient Egypt by El-Shamy, Hasan, Maspero, Gastpm (Oooh!! Tales and myths and bedtime stories!!)
Temples of Ancient Egypt by Shafer, Byron E. (Edt)  (*drrroooooolll* Details all the temples, the rituals that were practiced there, and the gods that were venerated). 

*delighted sigh* 

And tonight, I'm going to the Book Rack up the street and around the corner from my house, to rummage through their shelves and see if I can find any little treasures.  To balance all this delightful Kemetic reading bliss, I'm also going to dedicate this weekend to prepping the library for painting, so that we can actually UNPACK all the books we have! 


*happy twitches*

No comments: