Sunday, June 11, 2006

Plant Answers....(courtesy of Andi)

I can identify all of them but 2, 3, and 8.

1. Plantain- the crushed leaf is good for bees stings and blisters. A good weed.

2.I am going with a firm wild catnip guess for 2 and 3. http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/nepca.htm

3. can't tell

4. definitely perwinkle

5. Queen Anne's Lace- an invasive exotic in Tennessee. It does attract bees and butterflies though.

6. Lucky You! I believe that's an American Elder, from which you get elderflowers, good for skin creams and brewing, and elderberries, good for diarrea and they make great preserves. If you can take closer pics of the leaves I'mm make sure.

7. I *think* that's a Gleditsia triacanthos, a honey locust. If the spines are cross-shaped, it's definitely a honey locust. They are native small trees.

8. I *think* that's a Russian Olive, another invasive exotic. If the undersides if the leaves are silvery, that's it.

9. Looks like ragweed to me.....or (i am pretty sure its curly dock. Since its not in focus, check it out here. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/WEEDS/curly_dock.html)

10. Those are stickerburrs!!! Kill them immediately!

No comments: