Sunday, June 11, 2006

I don't know if I have a green thumb,

but man, do I have some DIRTY fingernails.


*grins* I started the garden!! Take a picture journey with me, eh?

The beginning - just a wild, wild, area. The garden (in beds) is eventually going to go where the deck is now (you can see the boards of the deck at the top of the picture), and will go from where those bushes are on the left side (which we want to move to where that HUGE bush is on the right to make a screen for the garden from the road), and - who knows how far 'behind' me. That black garbage bag & brick thingy is the compost (really mulch) that I brought from the apartment. Anyhow, this is what I started with, around 8:30am.



Three hours, intense ripping out of stubborn grass, handtilling dirt that has an INORDINATE amount of clay in it (I swear, I need a potters wheel so I can use that stuff - it's almost PURE clay), 90 pounds of potting soil, 160 pounds of composted manure, and four boards that I grabbed out of the pole barn later.....




And a better picture.... it looks so bare, and crying out for green stuff, doesn't it??



Green stuff!! 45 strawberry plants (I counted plants and suckers that will be plants), 3 cherry tomatoes (as they were the only tomato plants still around - it's late in the season), two green pepper plants, a yellow habanero, a 'regular' habanero, and the three quince seedlings. The strawberries are kinda droopy looking compared to everything else because they've been bareroot (but in water) since Thursday. I'm hoping they'll perk up now that they are in dirt. I also tossed my 'compost' on top of the dirt - I'm hoping it's still mulchy enough that it'll help hold in moisture and act as a weed barrier.




I'll keep ya'll posted as stuff gets bigger and blooms and fruits and stuff.

No comments: