Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Foodlove

So, I want to start putting together at least a rough menu for the month, so that we can start eating healthier. I figured that a good place to start would be to list out what we usually eat, and then just - organize it.


I started doing that, and realized that really, the problem is a bit bigger than that. I am sitting here, racking my brains for recipes/edibles - and I realized that even when we cook at home - it's all about the fast food. Sandwiches, soups, barbeque, pasta - it's all 'fast' cooked - and really, there ain't that much - wiggleroom, I guess. The funny part is that, really - I would like to make 'real' meals - but I just don't know WHAT to make. I mean - there is a wide, wide world of food out there, and I feel a bit - challenged by all the choices. And the fact that I'm married to a chef really doesn't help - it's a slightly different world in a professional kitchen vs. a personal one.


What sort of food would I LIKE to cook? Healthy stuff - not lowfat/lowcalorie - but more, fresh veggies and fresh meats, and nothing much out of a box. Less bread, less pasta (because that's usually our fallback position - spaghetti or a sandwich). More fish - which I love, but haven't had at home in - ages! But not super expensive, either - we are trying to stick to a certian amount of monet being spent on groceries a week. I love lebanese, indian, asian, thai, greek, morrocan food - but they all require some pretty specific ingredients. During the summer time - cool stuff. Salads, yes, but - filling salads. Stuff that I can have leftovers to take to work with me the next day. Stuff that is satisfying, yummy, and healthy. And, really at this point in time, I'm saying screw lowcarb. If I can find a lowcarb version (like Dreamfields pasta) okay - but if not - *nods* I want my brown rice, dammit!


I honestly don't know where to start. *laughs* It seems like the first thing to do, really - is collect recipes. But - I'm drawing a blank! *lol* I need to 'jumpstart' my brain and check out some recipe websites.


*sigh* More later, I'm sure.






Later....


Well - I just started brainstorming, and this is the list of food I've come up with - not saying it's going on a menu, just - THINKING about it. *shakes head* I know that I'm being far, far too limited - but my brain isn't very strechy, foodwise. Hm...I'll definitely have to get help from C.


Indian Yogurt Rice
Stuffed Grape Leaves
Hot Eggs and Noodles
Couccous
Falafel
Hummus
Feta
Parsely Salad
Barbequed Ribs
Baked Beans
Spaghetti
Fried Rice
Grilled Pork Chops
Creamed Spinach
Chicken Ceaser Salad
Hot Wings
Cheesy Cauliflower
Enchiladas
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Meatloaf
Lasagna
Avacados
Tuna Salad
Salmon Cakes
Noodley Stirfry
Something Soup
Hamburgers
Quiche
Pesto Pasta
Pasta Carbonara
Hot Dogs
Sandwiches
Garlic Spinach
Pita Bread
Greens
Beef Stroganoff


The other thing is - it's HOT. And we don't have central air. Which means, really, I'm not trying to bake a lot (no bread days) and would rather not boil much (though I can just suck the steam up via the vent fan), and honestly - I'm not big on really - HEAVY stuff. But the light stuff ain't quick, and usually needs a bit of 'steeping' time. Not complaining, just thinking outloud and wandering about in my head.


And I don't have nearly enough good, ethnic food. *laughs* I've got an old copy of Back to Eden, and I'm seriously considering going through that and pulling out recipes - maybe two or three nights a week, making something from there.


I'm tired of bieng in a food rut!!

No comments: