Thursday, June 22, 2006

Faith, community, Ma'at....

 I love reading to learn new things - even if what I am reading doesn't OBVIOUSLY connect (or is patently false) it gives me another - way of looking at whatever I'm studying.  I usually let the information simmer in the back of my head for a while, and then something will happen that will bring everything together in a relatively cohesive whole. Last weekend at many_rivers Midsummer ritual was one of those times. 


One of the things that clicked for me, is how a strong  - and HEALTHY  - community is built and nourished - is based largely on responsibilty. Being responsible for yourself, for your actions, your words, your deeds, your children - as well as being aware that you are responsibile to the other members of the community. Each time someone in the community shirks a task - whether it is their 'responsibility' or not - it makes the community weaker. Anytime someone assumes that they don't need to do something, because someone else will get it  done, - it weakens the community just a tiny bit - and eventually the community/society/group will die. The reason that the Egyptian society endured for the thousands of years that it did was because everyone was aware of their responsibilites to both their fellow man and the 'state' (in the form of the Pharoah and the Netjer), and they were aware of the eternal reprecussions of failing in their responsibilities.

Even as one thing was pulled out of the brainpot, another was added.  Hanging out with other recons is so cool, as we started talking abot whether it's actually possible to practice a faith that is deeply intertwined with a ancient culture - without actually living in the past.  Honestly, I'm still not sure. I know that I can uphold Ma'at - and without breaking any laws in the Culture that I currently live in.  But - Ma'at - is, at it root, about maintaining a strong community - it's about insuring that which is 'right' prospers, and that which is wrong fails.  I can't impose that sort of - control - over the wider society that I interact with - but I can hold myself up to it. 

I'm still reading 'The Mind Of Egypt' and I also scored two other very interesting looking books about Egypt.  I'm - still very shy about actually doing rituals - I don't feel like I understand the meaning behind them  - the spirit behind them, and I -  to do a thing of Spirit by rote seems - hypocritical.  Yet, at the same time, I'm wondering if I will ever feel that - rush - of touching (or being touched by) the Netjer. I am relying more on my FEELINGS in this process than I ever have before, and honestly, it's - scary, yet freeing. I'm forced to be not only deeply in touch with my inner guts, but also forced to be HONEST about what I'm feeling.  And right now, my feelings are saying that I'm not READY for ritual - that I haven't read/experienced the event that will - make ritual meaningful. *sigh* 

Ahh... this whole thing made ever so much more sense earlier this week when it was fresh in my head.  I still know what I need to be writing, but it's not expressing itself nearly as gracefully this time. I think it's blended in with the rest of the brainsoup a little too well. 



No comments: