Friday, June 9, 2006

Ya know,

Southerners are the some of the coolest, kindest, friendliest people ever. Ya'll can't drive, but really, I can forgive that.


So - yesterday, I cut out of work to go to Southhaven (a lil town in MS, about 15 minutes from downtown Memphis, 25 minutes from work) to pick up some plants that had been offered on Freecycle. Now, she was offering heirloom TN mountain strawberries, periwinkle, lemon balm and cedar and oak seedlings.  I was supposed to be at her house at 6:30, and because I couldn't bear to be at work any longer, I left early, and got there around 6:00.
It really wouldn't have mattered either way, because she was out with the grands, but her husband kindly helped me pick all the plants that I could. I ended up with - about 30 strawberry plants (plus suckers), 4 cedar seedlings, 5 or 6 periwinkle vines, two quince seedlings, 4 lemon balm plants, and a couple of vines of honeysuckle that came along with the perwinkle - all for about 3 gallons of gas (so let's say 9 bucks).  Mwuahahaha!!!
Also, someone is supposed to be coming to our house today to dig up all the monkey grass they want - and we've got a LOT.
So - this weekend, I'm going to be all up in the garden. I need to get some compost (cuz I don't have nearly enough!) some potting soil, and a razor edged shovel so I can cut up the grass where my garden should be. Strawberries spread (be fruitful and multiply!!) so I want to give them PLENTY of room. The periwinkle is going to go next to the chimney, the quince is going to go towards the back where the orchard will (eventually) be, The cedars are going to go out front by the driveway,  the lemon balm is going to go by the house with the rest of the herbs, and the honeysuckle (invasive or not, I LOVE it) is going to go by the front door....ooohhh - maybe I should put the periwinkle there and it can grow up the pink railing thingys.  Or maybe I'll put them both there!! Nah - Honeysuckle attracts bees (which my hubby has an amusingly girlish fear of, and no, he's not allergic) so maybe just the periwinkle.


*grins* I'mma get a tan! *happy bounces*

No comments: