Monday, April 18, 2005

Doula'ing Updatin' (3rd entry for today!!)

Soo..... I got the notice that amazon.com shipped three of my books today - 
"The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" Henci Goer 
"Labor Pain: A Natural Approach to Easing Delivery" Nicky Wesson
"The Doula Book: How a Trained Labor Companion Can Help You Have a Shorter, Easier, and Healthier Birth" Marshall H. Klaus, MD
and also, in unpacking the books I realized that I have MORE than I thought I did. I do own Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, and I need to reread Hearts & Hands as well. I realize that most of my books focus more on midwifery than doulaing - which is understandable - but still, I think that it can go both ways.


I'm also considering trying to become a Chilbirth Educator (does that takes big ol balls considering I've never given birth??) because Birthing From Within just sounds - HOT! And - *grins* I could actually have classes in my home (wait till you guys see this place - it's SOOOO made for entertaining!!!) and it would be something that would give me an 'in' to the birthing community.


Something else that I've done (and I hope I'm not moving too fast) was set up an appointment with one of the CPM's in the area who runs a homebirthing business, to sit down and talk to her about the general birthing culture here, as well as whether she would be interested in allowing me to volunteer with some of her clients. I'm going to slip in that I plan on using this as a stepping stone towards midwifery, and see if she has any suggestions (or if she would allow me to apprentice with her, which would REALLLLLLLLLY be cool). That appointment is next Thursday, so I'm just giddy all to pieces. I want to reread Hearts & Hands before I go, as well as the Birth Partner, so that I can have a semi-logical set of questions to ask her.

 


Also - I'm thinking about joining a Spanish class at Memphis Community College during the summer sessions - they are on Saturday's, so C wouldn't be able to come with, but he could learn off of Bellisa's CD's - so that might work nicely. There seems to be a pretty significant Hispanic population here, and while I would 'assume' that they normally have sufficient family support, they might still need doula's occasionally. So - excited. Things are moving!  





No comments: