Friday, April 1, 2005

Tired....babbling

Well, we've started the move process. All of the crap that we drove down here with (cats, chemicals, food, vacuum and other odds and ends) are merrily stashed away at our new house! It took us almost until 11 to get all the stuff there and settled in, and to grab some dinner, but it's worth it. I hope the kittes aren't too traumatized by spending the night there alone.
I got our keys and a crapload of mail right after work, but since the hotel that we're staying in now is about 20 minutes from the house (and the other hotel) it was a LONG three (or was it just two?) series of trips back and forth. We're most likely going to go furniture 'browsing' this weekend, as I refuse to spend an extra dime that I don't have to until I get my damn paycheck (hopefully Friday or Saturday).

The Boy has the car today so that he can make the final transition from one hotel to another. See - this is the level of hope/trust I have with this man. Last time we switched hotels, he managed to leave one of my bags. As I'm sure that the incident (and my general pissiness as a result) are still rather fresh in my mind, hopefully, he'll go over the room with a fine tooth comb. Of course, I helped by piling damn near everything into a heap in the front room. *sigh&smiles&shakeshead* Men.

I'm SOOOOO glad it's Friday, even though it doesn't really FEEL like Friday- hey, I can switch my calendar. IP has these really cool foresty calendars  - but I'm innately suspicious of a companies PR efforts towards it's employees - and I haven't taken the time yet to see what their REAL environmental record is. I've heard that they replant - but I'm not sure what else they do to insure that the ecosystem remains as pristine as possible as they hack down trees. *sigh* At least it's not pharmecueticals anymore - *shakes head* they ripped people off in so MANY different ways.


I haven't gotten a good feel for the 'culture' here just yet. On our team there's a Blonde, a Wisecracker, a Whiner, a Pessimist, a Mom (who's leaving, dammit), a Condesender (and I'm sure I spelled that wrong), a couple of others who I haven't quite pegged yet, and me - Newbie. *flutters eyelashes helplessly* *snort*
I've accepted the fact that I know nothing about the business, and I suspect that half of my team doesn't either. We're techies, and technically (haha) don't need to know about the business - but I'm so used to straddling that stream that I feel rather - lost trying to solve problems when I don't understand what caused them. *sigh* anyhow.


Okay - this might be rude and rather insensative, but I would think that Catholics would be celebrating that the Pope is going to die - or at least kind of happy/excited. I mean - finally, he get's to be with his Lord - that's not something to greive over, esp. for someone in his position - right? Maybe they are mourning the soon to come loss of the man who is the Pope, rather than the death of the Pope himself. But really - how many of the hundreds of thousands of Catholics know that Pope as anything other than the Pope? I can understand and respect the grief of his family - but I would think that the rest of the members of the Catholic faith would be - energized, I guess.


Speaking of death (or the lack thereof) I'm so happy for Terry Schiavo that she finally died. Me & C have already talked and decided that we are going to write living wills - as I told him 'If you kept me alive under those circumstances, as soon as I died I would come back and haunt you for not treating me with the same respect and dignity you would treat a dog.'  But then, I've never been afraid of death - *shrugs* it's something that happens to all of us, and it never happens when you really want it to - we can't neatly ink in death to come and visit at a convienent time. 
So, if I'm ever in a situation where part of my brain has been replaced by fluid, or I haven't truly responded to outside stimuli in over 5 years, I want the plug to be pulled and the morphine OD to be administered. I think that letting her starve to death was the cruelest thing EVER - whether she could feel it or not - what a horrible way to end your physical existence - and I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if a nurse or a doctor helped the process along a little.
Even if there is still hope - let me go. For the sake of those left behind who no longer have to endure a deathwatch. For the sake of my husband, who will never have a wife again - but who is still alive and still deserves to find love.  For the sake of my children (if there are any) so that they will remember their mother as a bright, vibrant, alive woman, not some wired up, intubated, unresponsive thing in a hospital bed. For the sake of my mother, who while enduring the horror of outliving your child, would at least also be able to remember me at my very best - alive. Not just breathing, heart beating, eyes twitching - but alive. Capable of response and interaction with the world. Capable of love. *sigh* I'm not selfish enough to demand that kind of devotion for endless number of years. Sheesh, even the insurance companies consider someone dead if they haven't been seen in 7 years - 15? *shakes head* I'd want C to suffocate me first. *sigh* I hope she rests in peace. And I hope her parents......well, I hope they have their wills in order.


Bleh. It's only 11, and I'm hungry - there was a launch of another set of mills this morning, and they brought in brekkie - really yummy breakfast sammichs from Chick-Fila. 'Eat mor chikin!' - was the sign in front of the box of sausage biscuits. *snicker* I think part of what's been irking me about this team is that is so damn tentative - and things move at a SNAILS pace. *creepcreepcreep* which I'm sooooo not used to - but then, my old would be considered a process team here, not an integration one. *shrugs* They'll get at least two years out of me - I want to see what the promotion/raise process is like, and I want to save up as much money as I can. I need to figure out how much money it would take for me to be able to take some time off - hmmm.... I wonder if they allow educational sabbaticals - I need to look at the homepage and see - that would be cool.


Hmm... I think I've gabbed enough. Maybe more later.

No comments: