Thursday, October 5, 2006

So, I posted about my freaky split roots both here & on LHCF, and in both places I'm getting an overwhelming 'That's WEIRD!!!' response. I didn't post it on NP, because honestly - I think that there is more hair knowledge on those two boards, whereas NP is more about hair acceptance/hair politics.

This would be a normal split end, where the top is at the root, and the bottom is the oldest part of the hair.

[center]
|
|
|
|
|
/|

[/center]
My hair is doing this - the top is stil the root end, and the bottom is the oldest bit, and the dyed bit starts well below the split.

[center]

|
\|
|
|
|
|
[/center]

So far, I've gotten answers/suggestions that I know don't apply (like relaxing/hotcombing), stuff that might be right (like overtwisting/lack of moisture) and things that I really think might be it (over-hennaing!!!!!! :shocked:). One person on LHCF said it might be severe "trichorhexxis nodosa" (:bigeyes:) and suggested I go to see a dermatologist!! *groans* I honestly don't think it's that bad, because really - this is most likely the HEALTHIEST my hair has ever been.
My shedding rate is gone way down, it's soft (but wiry), it's shinier than a new copper penny, it's growing like gangbusters (sometimes I swear I can SEE it grow), my scalp is clear and clean, my hairline is filling in........ I don't think I have anything WRONG with it - it's just being - weird.
I'd say I see/get about - 20-30 hairs coming off a day (broken, shed, whatever) and out of those - maybe 4 or 5 are the weird split ones, or suspiciously skinny rooted ones. 10-12 have a root bulb attached, and the rest are red only, so it's just the dyed bits breaking off.

So!! I'm NOT going to use my last bag of premixed henna - if anything, I'll start doing henna glosses every other week. When I went to Wild Oats, I also got a bottle of Aloe Vera gel, and I'll do a SMT this weekend, just to be sure that my hair is happy and conditioned and moisturized, and I might try - TRY - a new hairstyle next week, just in case my repeated twisting is stressing the roots. Hmm.... that means finding a new hairstyle.... I need to learn how to do bantu knots - but no, that involves twisting too. Maybe flat twists instead along the front, and leave it loose in the back? I wish I had paid more attention to WHERE those strands of hair were coming from, that might have given me a hint about what might be causing it.


In less weird hair news..... I rinsed out my hair GOOOOD this morning, and slatered HH all over it so it's EXTRA soft today and smells just HEAVENLY.

I also rumamged through my FNWL package and hmmm. The coconut butter is fractionated, so it doesn't smell all nice and coconutty (I might get some food grade stuff instead). The mango & cocoa butter were hard as ROCKS - but smelled SOOO good. The mango butter was also kinda gritty - so I think I'm going to have to season that the same way that shea butter needs to be seasoned, and whip it with the shea butter to insure that it's nice and smooth. The citric acid is - odd looking - it's granules instead of a powder like I was expecting, and it's a HUGE bag, so I'm going to swap bits of it out for other coolio stuff. I haven't tried the jojoba oil yet - I just hugged it and loved it and promised my hair that it will be slathered in it soon.

I still haven't found any yarn for my twists - but then, honestly, I haven't REALLLY been looking - I've been SO wiped out after working out that all I want to do is go home and collaspe face first into a soft flat spot - but I feel good doing it, so I'mma keep on, keeping on. I'm also dragging my feet because I'm really DREADING going to Walmart. Reaaaaally, I am.

Hm. I think that's it for now.

No comments: