Tuesday, October 10, 2006

So.....continuing on the tale of my very first SMT.

After I rinsed it out, my hair was - meh. It wasn't SUPER moisturized like I had expected, but I figured that was from the henna, and wasn't going to worry about it. I oiled it with a bit of jojoba oil, braided the front into two little cornrows, and twisted the back up into 5 or 6 fat twists - so that I could twist out on Monday, and rock a new style.

Monday:
I twisted out the back, and - my hair was CRUNCHY! I mean - horrid, horrid, HORRIDLY crunchy. Ever time I TOUCHED my hair, little bits were breaking off *weeps in horror* - and it was OILY. I'm thinking that maybe my hair just plain isn't ready for the jojoba oil straight up just yet - it was sad. I braided the back up before I worked out because I didn't want to scrape it against the bench, and went home, already plotting on what I was going to do.
I got home, cleaned up a bit, made an SMT (1 1/3 cup conditioner 1/3 honey 1/3 aloe), and climbed into the shower to get my hair wet. As I was getting it wet, I could still feel the 'crunchiness' of the ends - so I got the bright idea to try some citric acid on my hair. I mixed up a splash of citric acid with some water, and starting pouring it over and squishing it into my hair.
Oh. My. GODS. I could FEEL my hair changing under my hands - it went from crucnhy to soft and supple - I could actually FINGERcomb my hair - and from the root to the tip, it felt - good. Like PROPER hair. And my curls!!??!! They just - BOINGED out from everywhere!
So - I hopped out, slathered the SMT into my hair, out on a showercap and a headscarf, and carried on with my evening. I went to sleep in it, and rinsed it out this morning.
Okay. FIRSTLY - I can actually see my self using a brush, if my hair feels like this all the time - soft, supple, tender, strong - my hair hasn't felt this balanced in AGES. I worked a healthy bit of HH into my damp hair, and decided to just push it back into a pufro, largely because wonderful feeling or not, as I was picking out my hair, I was seeing FAR more little o's of hair scattered about the sink than I wanted to.

So. I was feeling kinda plain though, so I put on some makeup - which, by now is mostly rubbed off, as I ALWAYS rub my eyes, and eating with lipstick on is - yicky.
I REALLY need to experiment with styles for my hair at the length it's at NOW. I keep thinking about all of the wonderful things I will be able to do with it when it's longer (me in a pomadour - I can't WAIT!), but I need to practice now. It's long enough that I can do nice flat twists and cornrows (I think flattwists are more work appropiate though) and it'll help me be less bored with my hair, as WELL as leaving my hair out so that I can love it and condition it, and restore it's moisture balance to it.

My hair is dry now, and it still feels good - still a little dry (I really think butters are the way to go for me - I ust don't know how to effieciently spread them through my hair), but much more 'stable' and soft than it was yesterday.

Recap:
Henna - I think it was overkill, I won't be hennaing that way for a while - I'm going to an every other month timing.
SMT - meh. I'll have to try it again, but didn't seem to be any better than a usual honey + conditioner dealio.
Citric Acid: :love: :love: :love: I'll DEFINITELY be using this - but only to 'cure' the crunchies that the end of my hair tends to suffer from. Just because I KNOW the dyed bits are going to break off is no reason to rush the process, hey?

No comments: