Saturday, March 22, 2003

Dune


All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptable. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. - Missionaria Protectiva: ChapterHouse by Frank Herbert


I think I first read Dune when I was around 11 or 12. If I had heard Cartman at that point, when I was done reading I would have proclaimed - "They have warped my tender little mind."
Those books truly expanded my world view. They seem so - true. From reading them, I can almost understand how some people can proclaim Jedi as a religion. They have that kind of call to me.
The SciFi Channel presented a three-part mini series of the first book in the series Dune last year. It was breathtaking. I can't think of any other world to describe it. Last week, they presnted the second book Children of Dune. Once again, a masterpiece of cinematography.
Anyway, I was looking up The Litany of Fear so I could describe to another friend what my back tattoo would be, and I happened to discover the quote above. It seems so - erieely appropiate considering the state of the world today.

No comments: