Wednesday, March 5, 2003

Comfort

I love to eat. I like the feeling of food in my mouth. I like chewing food. I like the taste of food. I like cooking food. I like sharing food with others - especially things they have never tasted before. There are very few foods that I won't eat (chittlins, peas) and some foods that just occasionally taste good enough to eat (brussel sprouts), but most food to me is just plain good. I haven't yet met a food that I won't try - at least once, and the fact that it's more than likely GOOD rather than bad encourages that practice.
Oddly enough, after all that, I don't have a comfort food. I have a 'type' of food that I like to eat when I'm sad, or sick, or grumpy, but no particular food that when I need some 'comfort' I turn too. I think it's from the fact that as I grew up, there was never anything consistently in the house that I turned to when I was out-of-sorts. All of my escapism was done through books - which I'm sure is the only reason I don't weigh twice as much as I do now. I did love to eat and read, and I still do - but I've at least broken the habit of feeling like I HAD to eat something to be reading.
So - what is my comfort 'type' of food?? Custard/Ice Cream/Pudding. I love custard - proper egg custard mind you, cooked in a water bath, with the tiniest hint of vanilla and nuts. Or creamy caramel & dark chocolate swirled in vanilla ice cream, rich & cold & sweet and dark - simply melts away in my mouth. Or pudding - umm... butterstoch or chocolate or vanilla or a nice lemon curd.
So. Luckily, I can still eat custard. There have been a few stressful days when I would stop at the grocery store for eggs and cream because I knew that would make the day a little less painful. It's not quite comforting like a happy email from my best friend or a single kiss from Corey, but - it makes the uncomfortable bits of time a wee bit easier.

No comments: