Wednesday, March 5, 2003

Insurance

I totally understand the need for insurance...after my accident, I thank my lucky stars on a regular basis that I DID have insurance, otherwise I would have been NICELY pooch-screwed. However, I hate my insurance company. I have Progressive - and while they are giving me some of the best rates EVER - the agony I have gone through while WAITING for them to process my claim (and paying TWO car payments while I wait) has been horrendous. Normally, when I don't like the level of service that I recieve at one company, I promptly switch to another. This time though, I'm between a rock and a hard place. The rock being my hatred of bad service, the hard place being the cinchiness of my purse strings.
See - I JUST learned how to drive. Until the tender old age of 23, I didn't have drivers license, much less a car. I didn't need one while I lived in Atlanta (How I miss MARTA...) and while I lived at home my mother wasn't going to let me drive her car, ANYWAY. When I moved out here however, if I wanted to be able to get anywhere and not have it take 2 hours, I needed a car. So, I went to driving school (which reminded me again PRECISELY why I don't like teenagers) and got my license.
So, there's that. Then, there is the fact that I like to speed. Not too ashamed of the fact, as I'm a very safe driver - I just think that 65 is too damn slow on a straight stretch of dry & empty road. So. I've got 1)a total loss claim 2) a 29 miles over the speed limit ticket (and yes, I do think I deserved that one...94mph is too damn fast) and 3) only two years of driving experience. In other words, I'm screwed.
So, I'm going to bite the bullet and stay with them. I hope - in fact I'm going to find out if there is some sort of quality grading I can do for my claims agent...because more than ANYTHING else she SUCKS. I don't know if she has a super heavy workload, only works part-time, or doesn't check her messages frequently, but there is NO REASON it should take you a WEEK to get back to me on a message that I left on your voicemail. There is no reason that it should take TWO MONTHS after they priced out the loss on the car to write a check and pay it off. There is NO REASON. NONE. And if they try to base the payoff amount on the current amount of the loan instead of the amount of the loan when the loss was incurred, I'm truly going to go off.

No comments: