Thursday, April 10, 2003

Alignment

I loved those old V8 commercials - the ones where the non-V8 drinker would be walking around tilted at about a 30degree angle? Those were hilarious - and I'm not even going to try to count how many times I tried to figure out exactly how they did that.
Anyway - I feel like I need a V8. I've felt - off - for about a month now, and I can't figure out why. When I lay down, I don't feel 'even'. I feel crooked somehow - like my body is tilted no matter how straight I may look. It's starting to make me wonder if I should go get a good massage or see a chiropractor to be sure that I'm all in alignment.

The word alignment always makes me think of astronomy, and that makes me (at least right now) think of Easter. I've always found the timing of Easter fascinating. I think it's the only Christian Holiday (along with Good Friday of course) that moves around. The date of Easter is based on the date of Passover, which is based on the Spring Equinox and the lunar calendar. More simply - the first day of Spring (which is always March 21st) is the start of the Jewish New Year. The day after the first full moon in the Jewish New Year is Passover, and the Friday after the first full moon in the Jewish year is Good Friday, and the Sunday after that is Easter Sunday. I've always felt that Easter shows its pagan roots more so than any other of the Christian holidays.

Another interesting astronomical thing is syzygy. That the offical word for the perfect alignment of three or more celestial bodies. Every time the moon is full - that's syzygy. The moon, earth, and sun are in perfect alignment - a lovely straight line through the heavens.

The only side effect of my LASIK surgery is the fact that I stil suffer from night glare - any light source that is in darkness has a halo around it. I saw the same halos before the surgery, but usually a good squint could clear it up. Now - I've got it for good, and it makes star gazing rather hard. Most times I can't see the pinpricks of light as they are - instead I see a dimmer globe of light. I still dream of driving though the desert for the stars - blurry or not, it's something I MUST do once in my life. I couldn't talk Corey into driving to Vegas for the wedding - but I figure I should be able to talk him into renting a car for a day and driving as deep into the desert around Vegas that we can. I feel like seeing the stars as bright and as close as I can will - do something to me. I'm not sure what, and I'm not sure why I feel that way - but I know that if I miss out on seeing the desert stars I will miss out on an enormous experience.

No comments: