Tuesday, April 15, 2003

History

I've had this odd urge to cry floating around the back of my head for the past few days, and suddenly the reason why hit me.

When I was a child - until I was around 15/16 in fact, I wanted to be an archeologist. I was fascinated and amazed by how much what people leave behind speaks to the kind of society they lived in. I loved the voyeuristic feeling of peeking into want most people would never see or understand. I treasured the feeling of lifting something from the sand that appeared to be a dirty rock, and having it reveled to be a brightly colored piece of pottery.

So - when I started seeing reports that the museuems and libraries in Bagdhad and other areas of Iraq had been looted, and in some cases burnt to the ground - I hurt! The loss of those precious, utterly irreplace TREASURES reverberates in me in a way that I haven't even put together words to explain. From the clay cuniforms to the libraries of Islamic Law - it's gone. And what a waste it is - burnt to a crisp or broken because of ignorance, an utter lack of respect, and complete negligence on the part of the 'liberating' forces.

I want to cry - but the tears won't well up. I've not yet been able to force myself to read an entire article listing what they believe was destroyed - but I'm horrified at the thought of ANY of it being destroyed.

So...I'm disappointed in humanity today, even though, using history as a guide - I should have expected no better.

I still want to cry.

No comments: