Wednesday, March 22, 2006

In the Spirit....

So, I've finished working on the Declarations - I rewrote what each one means (as simply as possible) and then combined some, and removed some duplicates, so that now it's back down to 42. It's interesting reading them, and seeing how they are broken out.
There are four for the Netjeru.
There are sixteen for the self.
There are twenty-two for the community.
Isn't that lovely? How you honor the Netjeru is left mostly to your own choices - with just a few simple guidelines. How you should honor yourself is specified more clearly, and how the community should honor itself is detailed the most. It makes sense - the larger the group that is being interacted with, the more - concreteness that is needed to insure smooth sailing.

Here is my personal set of Declarations.....

Netjeru
1 I have not stolen that which belongs to the Netjeru
2 I have not destroyed that which belongs to the Netjeru
3 I have not cursed the Netjeru
4 I have not disrespected the Dead
Self
1 I have not polluted myself
2 I have not violated vows I have taken
3 I have not been deaf to Ma'at
4 I have not lost my temper
5 I have not acted without due consideration
6 I have not been arrogant
7 I have not exaggerated my words
8 I have not violated vows others have taken
9 I have not used evil thoughts, words, or deeds
10 I have not been angry without just cause
11 I have not placed myself on a pedastal
12 I have not cursed anyone
13 I have not coveted
14 I have not held a grudge
15 I have not felt sorrow for no reason
16 I have not been boastful
Community
1 I have not done inequity
2 I have not behaved with violence
3 I have not killed people
4 I have not acted deceitfully
5 I have not slandered
6 I have not trespassed
7 I have not stolen
8 I have not uttered falsehoods
9 I have not caused fear
10 I have not pried in order to make mischief
11 I have not assaulted anyone
12 I have not extorted
13 I have not eavesdropped
14 I have not cheated
15 I have not made anyone cry
16 I have not caused disruption of peace
17 I have not polluted water
18 I have not been insolent
19 I have not commited fraud
20 I have not disobeyed the law
21 I have not been unfair.
22 I have not taken advantage of the weak


I think they still need a little - updating isn't quite the right word - broadening, might be better. For example - 'I have not polluted water' seems to me, to be a shorthand for respecting the environment - but how do you compact that into a single phrase? Perhaps - perhaps I should just leave it as it is, and gradually expand my understanding of them, and then write out what I feel that declaration is asking for. I want to dig into the spirit of things, not just the words. Overall, I don't think that any of them will provide any serious difficulty - outside of two. Cursing, well - let's just say that I suspect the sailors would have been proud. The other is obeying the Law..... *sighs* as someone who coasts on the edge of the law (in private only with close friends ;) ) I'm - I'm not sure about that one. Honestly, I had a very hard time leaving it in, because it reflects the concept that the entire society from the King to the slave followed Ma'at - and therefore any law that was made would be within Ma'at. Living in the 21st century in a country that might try to outlaw Ma'at for being just too heathenish, I'm not sure how - rigidly that Declaration should be upheld, but at the same time, I cannot - will not - strike it out. That's too close to picking and choosing. I am once again, going to take it in the spirit of things.

No comments: