Monday, May 29, 2000

The Day of the Dead

A day of fun in the sun, picnics, barbecues and the first official day of summer. The day that the USA is supposed to honor those who have fallen in the many useless and wasteful battles that have been held over money, oil, and the ‘democratic’ principle. A day that the ‘children’ in DC strut out and about and show their pride in who they are, unashamedly and fully. *smiles* Isn’t it odd that they are the one group who is almost forbidden from dying in a war, but who can be killed randomly on the street?

We didn’t do much today…I met L’s sister C.. : ) cool girl… and we went out and watched the children… prayed that it wouldn’t rain… saw a wonderfully good movie called the Croupier (only showing in ONE theater in DC … you gotta love the artsty movies), went back to L’s house…watched him cook for me, and read my love cards.

I don’t know if I have ever talked about these cards (I haven’t been in much of a state to need to use them), but they are a deck of cards called ’52 ways to stay in love forever’ I use them to focus myself, and to clear my mind, and to figure out exactly what the hell is really going on. At the start of any potential relationship of mine I lay out seven cards. 3 represent the strengths in the coming relationship… what would hold us together. 1 represents the breaking point, what will hold us together or break us apart, and the last 3 represent the breaks. or what will surely destroy us if we allow it to.

I thought about what be & Papi had… and what me might have… and what I wanted us to be, and came up with the following cards:
Strong Points:
Creative Collaborations: creating and building things together that will outlast us. Artwork, writings, and the like. I don’t see that as being a problem here.
Variety: Changing up how we do things, not letting ourselves settle into a rut of a relationship. Hmm… I know that I get bored quickly, so I tend to want to do life differently every morning…so this should be accomplished with a little work as well.
Sacred Time: Taking time away from everything else in life and simply spending some quality, awake time with your sig. other. Taking the time to reconnect to each other without any distractions or interruptions. This seems to be a wise thing in any relationship, but know how I run about.. it might be one of the hardest strong points to build up & on.
(I found it interesting how these cards laid themselves out in order from easiest to hardest)


Breaking Point:

Thoughtfulness:
be aware that everyone has habits that will get on someone else’s nerves. Be aware of the habits that you have that will drive your partner batty, and decide on just how much those habits are a part of you, and whether you can discard (or at least tone down) on them t allow for a more harmonious relationship. Hm. This one may be hard for me simply because I am such an individual… I’m not used to letting anyone else dictate what I can and cannot do. *sighs* in this card right here is the whole compromise issues that I was concerned about.

Weak Points:
Tokens of Affection:
Provide small things that show how much you care and love your partner. Little silly things can build up so much more. Since this card showed up in the weak points section, that means that it is something that we will have to work on. I know that I am one who is like ‘If I tell you I love you once I mean it… do I have to keep saying it over and over again??’ so this serves as a reminder to me that love must be talked about and shown on the regular.
Hazardous Waste Management: Take time out to release all of the bitterness and irritation that you have been storing up about your partner before it breaks loose and overwhelms the relationship. This is a VERY good one. I know that I tend to hold things in and then bust out at a totally inappropriate time about the little things that have been pissing me off for a good long while…and I know that may cause issues.
We’ve got the Power: Examine the power structure in your relationship. Many people assume that the passive partner has less power, when in actuality they may almost completely control the relationship. *nods* I have been called passive – aggressive many times, but hopefully my habits of speaking out will balance the exchange of power.

A bit of food…a few good movies…and bed once again. Even though I have not talked to Papi since he dropped me off (I really need a cell phone) I feel so much more at peace with my choices… a little guidance was all I needed.

Stay Jazzed.

No comments: