Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Lately, I've been checking out black womens hair on TV.

I've noticed that a LOT of them seem to have 'natural' looking hair - as in relatively tight curls, rather than straight hair. I just saw one commercial, where the woman had lovely full curls, but when they went close-up, you could see that her roots were almost bone straight.
And then, there was a commercial for some Madea movie, where Madea had to adopt the little bad ass girl, and I noticed how tore up her hair was. It was like they purposely made her hair look as 'nappy' as possible, to accentuate her poverty/despair/abandonment. I immeadiately thought how nice her hair (which was very long) would look in double twists.
And then, there was the liutenent in Law And Order - who had thick boxbraids, which at first, I looked at and was like - What the HELL is that on her head? But then, after a few seconds, I liked it. Her hair was pretty thick, relatively long - and it looked good.



In other news......

I twisted my hair Monday night, but did it in thick twists to see a) how they looked and b) how long it would take me. They look - okay. I think that my hair needs to be longer in order to look really GOOD in a thick twist. It took me about - 2 hours to do it. I debated, and debated whether to wear them, but figured - hey - why not!
Now, after seeing the above mentioned woman in box braids, I'm like - hell yeah! It's - interesting, expanding my personal comfort limits when it comes to what looks 'right' in my hair and on me. I think they are going to make some GORGEOUS twist outs though! Considering how nice the tiny ones looked, I suspect these are going to look AMAZING.
I used a lot of whipped pudding, and a lot of gel on them this time, and since I was working from a semi-dry (used some of the spray stuff) smushed fro, I didn't comb it out as well as I should have. Hmmm - that's going to make this weekend's henna rather interesting. I used so much of both, because I wanted to make my hair as soft as possible. I'm considering combing the whipped pudding and gel through my hair, and drying it loose - just to see what it looks like - I suspect it'll be a loose fuzzy fro - I doubt that I'll end up with curls, but it'll be cool to see what is DOES end up looking like. I don't like that it starts out sticky, but it feels SO nice after a day or two, it's wonderful.

No comments: